Handcent sms, how do i remove stock messaging

hemi1300

Reaction score
Just installed handcent sms, how do i choose to strictly use just handcent and not the original text messaging

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FC127

Reaction score
If you go into manage applications in your settings, the "all" tab, scroll down to text messaging. Click on that, scroll down to find a button that says clear defaults. Click that. Now Handcent will open by default and not the stock text messaging.

Sent from my D2 using DroidForums app

Viper323

Reaction score
After doing that if there is ever a situation where either app can handle it you should be prompted asking which app to use. You can then check the box saying to always use this app and choose Handcent

OP
H

hemi1300

Reaction score
Done, thanks for the quick replies, also downloaded the better keyboard, lovin it so far

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Your title states: remove stock messaging

You can root your phone and actually download Titanium Backup. You can actually delete some stock apps that you may not want. I do not recommend deleting the original messaging app. I have handcent and decided to delete the stock messaging app. I found out that after doing this, I could not send or receive picture messages from handcent.

Merry Christmas everybody!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In other words, you don't. Disable the notifications in the stock app. Set your other app to be the default.

comnut

Reaction score
newbie here!! I'm OK with PC's, but getting used to the android system.. I am coming from nokia, so need something similar! :)

I am using GoSMS Pro, with 'traditional folders' so I can track sent msgs, and organize the rest..

I have unticked all things I can find, but the number of messages still appears on the messaging icon at the bottom...

Did i miss something? :icon_eek:

Or if someone knows a way to transform the Stock app, with 'traditional folders', that would be great!! :)

I dont really want to root...

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
newbie here!! I'm OK with PC's, but getting used to the android system.. I am coming from nokia, so need something similar! :)

I am using GoSMS Pro, with 'traditional folders' so I can track sent msgs, and organize the rest..

I have unticked all things I can find, but the number of messages still appears on the messaging icon at the bottom...

Or if someone knows a way to transform the Stock app, with 'traditional folders', that would be great!! :)

You need to go into the stock messaging app and then into options. Once their uncheck notifications so they will not appear under the stock application.

Let us know if this helps you.

Big Cam

Reaction score

You need to go into the stock messaging app and then into options. Once their uncheck notifications so they will not appear under the stock application.

Let us know if this helps you.

I'm using Handcent on the LG Revolution and I don't get duplicate texts, but o the lock screen sometimes it shows old texts, I assume this is due to the stock messaging app getting text notifications still. On my Droid 1, I remember disabling it, but I can't seem to find that option on my Revolution now