handcent sms

AHB900

Reaction score
I just Dled handcent SMS which is suppose to be a free SMS app. Now heres the thing i need help with when i send txts its fine im assuming im not being charged for it, but when i recieve txts it still recieves it with the original SMS and the handcent which means im possibly getting charged for the messages i recieve and its really annoying when i get 2 popups for texts. Is there anyway to disable that SMS and only have the Handcent sms? also is this seriously for free? or is there a catch?

Thanks guys

DroidFan

Reaction score
I just checked my VZW online account and as I thought, you're still getting charged for texts incoming/outgoing (or using your SMS plan) when using Handcent. It's just another means to communicate, but it still uses your text plan.

Using Google Voice, however, will not use your SMS plan. (Again, verified this with texts through GV against my VZW account).

Hope this helps.

Crewski

Reaction score
The Handcent SMS is a free application, but the texts that are sent and received are not free (unless of course you have an unlimited texting plan).
The regular messaging app that comes with the phone will always be running in the background. However, what you want to do it open it up, go to settings, and turn off all notifications. That way you will only be notified by Handcent when you get a message.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Like posted above, it is just a free app, not a way to do free sms. To disable the messaging app from notifying you go into messaging, settings, notifications and turn them off. You can also turn of auto retrieval so they never show up in that app.

OP
A

AHB900

Reaction score
hmm i must have misread the description... I guess ill be going back to my factory SMS, it has less problems.

Thanks guys

greenchicken

Reaction score
if you want free texting on a droid you have to use google voice, but you cannot send mms messages in google voice.

also that handcent is a cool program but I still can't get mms to work like it's suppose to... sometimes it works and sometimes not...

medicTHREE

Reaction score
hmm i must have misread the description... I guess ill be going back to my factory SMS, it has less problems.

Thanks guys

What problems? We gave you fixes to the other problems you described. It is by far better than the built in messaging app.

greenchicken

Reaction score

Thanks guys

What problems? We gave you fixes to the other problems you described. It is by far better than the built in messaging app.

it's better looking but the mms still does not work right all the time, if it did, its the one I would use....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks guys

it's better looking but the mms still does not work right all the time, if it did, its the one I would use....

Multiple MMS messages here... all work fine. What's not working about it?

greenchicken

Reaction score

no idea whats wrong, I send mms, it does not, other than that it's out of my hands.... it does work somethimes though but sometimes they take hours to go thru

no idea

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

no idea whats wrong, I send mms, it does not, other than that it's out of my hands.... it does work somethimes though but sometimes they take hours to go thru

no idea

Guess you can't be blamed there :unsure:. I got nothing unfortunately...

cgarnes

Reaction score
I have had issues with Handcent, too, but only the upgrade (everything was fine until there was a new release). I contacted the developer, who was VERY COOL and FRIENDLY, and he suggested that I download an app called Log Collector so that if another issue arose that he could troubleshoot.

What an excellent bit of customer service! If you contact him, I am sure he will do what he can to try and fix things (and it could be coincidental - my problem might not even be Handcent, at all, but maybe another app that isn't playing nice with it).

I'll let you know what I find out on my end.

ashkev843

Reaction score
I've had a few problems with mms on handcent. If I send just a pic with no text it won't go through. But if I add text to the mms it does. Kinda strange, but not a big deal. I love the customizable options that handcent gives over the messaging app that came with it.

Anomander

Reaction score
Ok quick question. I got a text through handcent the other day. It looked like it was trying to play an audio file then show a picture at the end (Happy Holidays from the Woods). I take it the Droid is not doing both audio and video in the same text message?

Geofferson

Reaction score
Has anyone downloaded any of the Handcent fonts? When I do, I can't get past the font install screen, so I had to uninstall the font to get back to Handcent SMS. Looked like a bug from what I could tell...