Handcent double messaging, not double notifications.

Isaiah

Reaction score
.::This isn't a bug report::.

I had this problem for months, before I finally figured out what the solution was.

IDK if anybody else has this problem, but when using handcent there was a high likelihood of getting duplicate texts... from anybody.

Various rumored solutions include: deleting mms.apk(don't), stopping handcent from save-checking or whatever, and turning off the defualt messaging's notification and auto retrieving messages (this fixes double notifications, not the messages).

Anyways, the fix for this (if anybody has it) is really, reaaaallly simple, and reaaaallly stupid.

The problem (for me) is that handcent might not be set as the defualt messaging app, or a glitch occurred and it forgot or something. So, what to do is, first check and make sure that there is no default messaging app. (go to settings > applications > manage applications > any messaging app; messaging, handcent, chomp > clear defaults.
Then go into "contacts" and try to text somebody, it'll ask what app you want to use, select the default application checkbox and then choose handcent

(you may not have to do the first step, I didn't.)

And IDK if this'll help anybody, but for me it was amazing. hope it helps other people!

droider4life

Reaction score
I'm on it like blue bonnet!! Hope this works!! Been having this problem for a long time!! NICE FIND!!

Last edited:
OP
Isaiah

Isaiah

Reaction score
I'm on it like blue bonnet!! Hope this works!! Been having this problem for a long time!! NICE FIND!!

Sweet hope it works for you too! And yeah, I guess its much easier to say just make sure its the default. :) I guess watching house makes me wordy:icon_eek:

sportadic22

Reaction score
hmmm ive had this problem since i got the phone... and even before i had the droid...
handcent is my main program..and default program. its not the program or the phone.. it must have to do with verizon and the corresponding network being sent from..verizon or some other network.

Prodigy4

Reaction score
kind of off topic...

but have you guys ever had a problem with Handcent just closing on you? Because recently with me, I would get the pop up notification, and the app would freeeze on me, and then force close....this only happened after the recent update

droider4life

Reaction score
but have you guys ever had a problem with Handcent just closing on you? Because recently with me, I would get the pop up notification, and the app would freeeze on me, and then force close....this only happened after the recent update

I actually haven't experienced this one...

Prodigy4

Reaction score

I actually haven't experienced this one...
me neither until like 2 weeks ago...and i LOVE this app, which is why its frustrating...

droider4life

Reaction score
For sure!!! That would drive me nuts!!! Have you tried a battery pull?

Prodigy4

Reaction score
i've tried that, a factory reset, uninstalling the app, haha believe me, i've tried EVERYthing. and i love the app so much, when i tried the factory message app, i couldn't get use to it...

rkeller62

Reaction score
hmmm ive had this problem since i got the phone... and even before i had the droid...
handcent is my main program..and default program. its not the program or the phone.. it must have to do with verizon and the corresponding network being sent from..verizon or some other network.

Have you trying 'clearing defaults' on Handcent and then reselecting it as the OP suggested?

tammyg213

Reaction score
I've done all this but verizons answer is to do a master reset and I refuse to do it because their not sure if its my phone or their network!!!

OP
Isaiah

Isaiah

Reaction score
I bet its your phone, because this 100% fixed it for me. An easy way to tell is if you don't have handcent installed, do you get double messages with just the plain messaging app?

If you do its obviously verizon, if you don't get double text messages its obviously handcent.

Just make sure handcent is the default messaging app and try toggling settings in handcents receive message settings. things like self check and what not... also try disabling all the options in the default messaging app....