[GUIDE] Return to stock or recover a brick using the new file format: FXZ

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
cvpcs booted up CM7 on the DB... let the countdown begin. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
you don't even have to turn it off, just plug it in and go.... sadly I'm having a radio problem with mine and I CANNOT get data to work... reflashing for the second time.. I guess we shall see

OP
Berzerker

Berzerker

Reaction score
Apparently, OS X users needed a different fastboot, so I've included proper binaries in the OP now.

Also, updated with MD5Sums of the FXZs.

Last edited:

luiferrestrepo

Reaction score
Can you flash to the original motorola software without the verizon cra. P. Also can it be sim unlocked after this flash.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

BuckyN8

Reaction score
This video helped me unbrick my Bionic after trying to install a ROM. Thanks from a noob!

chadwick108

Reaction score
is this file for droid 3 or bionic?

nm i answered my own ?

looking for stock flash for droid 3 to fix soft brick

Last edited:

jawonder

Reaction score
I download the FXZ File and extract it to a folder start up RSD Lite click on the key to find the file i can't find it even if i click on the folder were it is it's says "no items match your search" and the file is there.

zachdroid

Reaction score
I download the FXZ File and extract it to a folder start up RSD Lite click on the key to find the file i can't find it even if i click on the folder were it is it's says "no items match your search" and the file is there.

DHacker has put together a one click method for the bionic for this sort of thing. Works flawlessly.

jawonder

Reaction score
DHacker has put together a one click method for the bionic for this sort of thing. Works flawlessly.

Yeah tried using the DH Method on my PC but couldn't get the drivers install but i got it to go on my Mac and everything's good now .

Reaction score
Motorola has moved away from their SBF format. The Droid 3 is likely going to be the last Motorola phone we see with an SBF. So from now on we will have what we are going to call "FXZ" archives, or Fastboot XML Zip archives. What these are are *basically* SBFs, but in a more simplified version. It's more similar to a nandroid backup than an SBF. An XML has instructions that tell RSDLite to fastboot flash the stock partitions included in the zips. It works exactly the same was an SBF for the end-user, with minimal effort.

So this is basically how you're going to restore:

Windows ONLY:

1. Install the following:
RSDLite 5.5
Moto Drivers 5.2.1 - 32-bit or Moto Drivers 5.2.1 - 64-bit

2. Download the stock FXZ.

3. Plug in your phone to your computer (preferably a back USB port if you're on a desktop, don't use a front USB port if possible) and shut it down (leave it plugged in).

4. Hold down the vol-down button on the rocker and boot the phone up, it should boot into AP Fastboot Flash Mode and it should say "OK to Program".

5. Open RSDLite and make sure it shows your phone under entry 1.

6. Click on the ... button and search for the zip.

7. Click on "Uncompress only" and make sure the File Properties section (the right box) has the following information:

Code:
Filename: default_flash_targa.xml
Creation Date: 09/15/2011 00:31:50
File size: 577
Sofware Version: 
For Phone Model: TARGA

8. Once you've verified that click on "Start" and it should start the flashing process.

9. It will reboot when finished and you should be back to complete stock!

OS X/Linux ONLY:

Here's a guide on how to restore to stock using the FXZ for OS X/Linux users.

1. Download one of the following fastboot binaries: fastboot-OSX or fastboot-linux and rename it to just "fastboot"

2. Download the FXZ and untar it anywhere.

3. Plug in your phone to your computer (preferably a back USB port if you're on a desktop, don't use a front USB port if possible) and shut it down (leave it plugged in).

4. Hold down the vol-down button on the rocker and boot the phone up, it should boot into AP Fastboot Flash Mode and it should say "OK to Program".

5. Run the following commands in terminal

Code:
./path/to/fastboot flash system /path/to/system.img
./path/to/fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
./path/to/fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
./path/to/fastboot -w

6. Shut off the phone by pressing the power button.

7. Boot back up and you should be back to stock!

Note: The FXZ posted is a minimal stock flash and only restores the following partitions: system, boot, recovery, and erases the cache and userdata partition. If you're just restoring your phone to stock, this is all you need. However, if you'd like a complete full restore including flashing the webtop partition, radio, and bootloader, among other things, you can download Full FXZ and use that in RSDLite following the same steps, instead. This is mostly for developers or someone who is paranoid... (side-note, the File Properties for this will be slightly different, creation date will be 09/14/2011 22:26:00 and File Size will be 1306)

MD5s:

Full FXZ - c3287f0d811c779c0261ebaa2f17693a
Minimal FXZ - 08c76a533d74060a842ef5ddeea95a47

Credit goes to kennethpenn on XDA for getting the files for us.

9/17/2011:

Here's a nice video provided by Wnclivin in-case you'd like some visual aid:
[video=youtube;pyaLI1WJINI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyaLI1WJINI&feature=player_embedded#[/video]!

I swear to God, I'm surrounded by brainiacs! :D

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

americanz

Reaction score
sorry but im a little ignorant. what is the difference from this and an sbf file. i sbf my d2 many times. no issues. and the last post about a restore for the bionic i heard that it would no longer update. has this been fixed?

kolafreak

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this all and was wondering, would this restore my bionic back to stock verizon bionic from the store? What I am more curious is... would the demo "Let's Golf" game be restored also? cause I had accidetally deleted this on my phone. I have also been having some video playback issues and was hoping this would fix that issue also... Thanks in advance.

hunter9604

Reaction score
ok, so, yeah, my battery is dead, I can plug it into the wall, and the display will come on into the program screen, plug it into the computer, and nothing, I can't get it to load up in RSD Lite, OR fastboot one click, what do I do????