GSM Galaxy Nexus Goes Through the FCC!

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could it possibly be a world phone on Verizon?
Not this version. This one is strictly a GSM phone.

EDIT: My apologies, I see what you're saying. I honestly don't think it will be a world phone for Verizon if there are two versions of the phone. One being this GSM version and the other being Verizon's CDMA/LTE variant.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Say it ain't so!

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, and I hope I'm wrong, but something might be smelling funny.
1. Remember when someone posted about having an inside friend at verizon who had hands on experience with both Prime and Vigor prototypes? This source said that the Vigor was actually the better phone. But that didn't make sense with the bulk of the specs seeming to lean towards the Prime.
2. Cut to this last week, when more 'solid' specs on the prime were first announced. It was 5mp in back, 1.3mp in front and 1.2 GHz dual core. And we hardcore fans were disappointed.
3. Then "revised" specs of 8mp, 2mp, and 1.5 MHz dual core popped up seemingly out of nowhere.
4. Now the Prime hits the FCC and it is not for verizon.
5. Add to that the new rumor that vzw is only getting a dumbed down version of the phone and that could possibly explain the first set of 'inferior' specs.

And now that I've posted sufficient slop to chew on, I will say that I am quieting my (potential) anger by telling myself that Sammy postponed the undoing announcement because they realized how heinous it would be to stick big red with a crappier version of what will be the best phone in the world.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I hate to be the conspiracy theorist, and I hope I'm wrong, but something might be smelling funny.
1. Remember when someone posted about having an inside friend at verizon who had hands on experience with both Prime and Vigor prototypes? This source said that the Vigor was actually the better phone. But that didn't make sense with the bulk of the specs seeming to lean towards the Prime.
2. Cut to this last week, when more 'solid' specs on the prime were first announced. It was 5mp in back, 1.3mp in front and 1.2 GHz dual core. And we hardcore fans were disappointed.
3. Then "revised" specs of 8mp, 2mp, and 1.5 MHz dual core popped up seemingly out of nowhere.
5. Add to that the new rumor that vzw is only getting a dumbed down version of the phone and that could possibly explain the first set of 'inferior' specs.

And now that I've posted sufficient slop to chew on, I will say that I am quieting my (potential) anger by telling myself that Sammy postponed the undoing announcement because they realized how heinous it would be to stick big red with a crappier version of what will be the best phone in the world.

I do hope your wrong but at the same time....i dont....if the prime for vzw is dumbed down that means more people will get the vigor and that means there will be more DEVs for the vigor. So that would be nice! :)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I do hope your wrong but at the same time....i dont....if the prime for vzw is dumbed down that means more people will get the vigor and that means there will be more DEVs for the vigor. So that would be nice! :)
I have loved my Inc 2 and was looking forward to the Vigor, but honestly am getting tired of the battery and charging issues that HTC can't seem to get straightened out. Since rooting, my Inc and now my Inc 2 are better, but still, to unplug for ten seconds on green and plug back in for another thirty minutes of charging is a nuisance.

And hoping that Google is truly a Google Experience phone with direct support from Google would be nice.

matt2783

Reaction score

Yep, this is my worry as well. Add to that the fact that Verizon never seems to get the latest and greatest, and it seems to make perfect sense. I hope to god Sammy and Google prove this theory wrong though!

stinger161

Reaction score
I really dont think it has anything to do with VZN getting "stuck" with an inferior product. I would guess they are approached by every manufacturer and are presented with whatever devices they have and whether or not they want to carry them. (Wasn't the iPhone originally offered to them by Apple to be their exclusive carrier and they passed?) I'm still thinking they aren't going to carry anything that is going to take sales away from whatever their flagship Motorola device is. So that's their choice. I hope I'm wrong though and we get that beast of a Samsung!

afrost55

Reaction score
I hope it is a timed exclusive, i want to see it hit other carriers. Just hate that its going to be outdated in matter months.

matt2783

Reaction score
Maybe Verizon will pass up on the Prime in lieu of something better down the road...

bigdad63

Reaction score
Maybe Verizon will pass up on the Prime in lieu of something better down the road...
Crappy coverage aside, the other carrier's galaxy variants make me feel like I might as well be using a couple of tin cans and some string over at verizon. There will always be something down the line better, but these new gs2 variants are a significant advance over anything available at big red right now. They should have either pulled the trigger, or explained why their lineup must remain pitiful. I've never had another carrier, but they're close to losing me (and my other 2 lines) right now.