Gs5 lollipop alarm on silent mode

mach330

Reaction score
I noticed the alarm on my wife's gs5 in silent mode won't make a sound after lollipop upgrade. What am I missing on settings? It used to work.

Tap'd via Note 4...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hmmm. Could it be that the phone is in "SILENT MODE"? LOL! :D

But seriously, wouldn't it make sense that if the phone is in silent mode, that would prevent sounds from being played - even alarms (that is unless they've been excluded from the silent treatment)?

There must be a bypass for 'urgent' or desired sounds to be "excepted" from the silent treatment.

OP
mach330

mach330

Reaction score
Yeah I know but kit kat enabled you to be in silent mode and have alarm go on. Let me play with interruptions.

Tap'd via Note 4...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Interested in this. I don't normally put my phone in silent overnight, especially with blocking mode being a thing now.

However, I know that alarms used to sound on android devices regardless of whether the ringer was set on silent or not. It was assumed that you didn't want to be disturbed until the alarm went off. Haven't tested it in years, but the phone also used to turn on to sound the alarm if you had one set and turned the phone off overnight.

Of course, a lot has changed since then.

There should definitely still be a way for the alarm to sound no matter what imo, so I'm hoping they didn't break that...even if it's not something I really have to worry about. Kinda one of those things that, when you decide you need to do things that way, you wanna be sure it's gonna work how you expect it to.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I always put my S5 either in silent mode or blocking mode each night. Your alarm should work regardless. That said, I don't use the stock alarm, but "Alarm Clock Xtreme" simply because it's got way more features than stock. I can't stand being jarred awake by an obnoxious alarm, this is the greatest feature ever. LOL
wt7gCFe.jpg

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm the opposite! The loudest most annoying alarms are the ones for me. I love finding new stuff on Zedge.

I use blocking mode all the time. I don't use silent mode.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to get further off topic, but I use ascending volume as well. My Note 4 has the option to start soft and get louder and so does my clock radio. I use both, because I sleep deep and don't always wake to one or the other. Phone goes off about 10 minutes before the clock and I turn it off, then I do the snooze thing on the clock a couple times.

newmanx4

Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of posts about this on different forums. There are three sound modes. Sound, silent, and mute. My alarm works in silent mode just fine but not in mute. I'm wondering if people are using the volume key and going down all the way til the phone is in mute.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm seeing lots of posts about this on different forums. There are three sound modes. Sound, silent, and mute. My alarm works in silent mode just fine but not in mute. I'm wondering if people are using the volume key and going down all the way til the phone is in mute.
Good info!

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

newmanx4

Reaction score
Testing my theory, if you use volume down you will get to silent mode, or as I like to call it vibrate mode. If you press volume down one more time you get a pop up asking how long you want no interruptions and it says in parenthesis this includes alarms. Indefinitely is checked by default. So if a user presses and holds volume down without looking at the screen they are silencing their alarm.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
IMO you shouldn't have to choose any option regardless of whether your device is in silent mode, mute or vibrate....your alarm should work by default.
But that's just my view. There are too many things about lollipop I just don't like....why upgrade for the sake of the upgrade I say. Android definitely took a few steps back with this version.

S5 tap'n

newmanx4

Reaction score
I agree. In the interruptions menu it says alarms always have priority. So it's definitely a bug. Maybe a soon to come update will address it.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I believe you need to activate alarms as a priority in Interruptions menu under Sound.

Sent from my Note 4

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
WIth KitKat, I used to set my sound to Mute when I went to bed so txt msgs and calls wouldn't wake me up, now I just use the Interruptions toggle to set "Priority only" mode, and don't touch the Sound setting, same end result, although I agree that disabling alarm sound in Mute mode was a mistake.