Group Texting Problem

seeburt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s5
I have a Samsung Galaxy s5. Verizon is my carrier. When I try and send out a group text I get a "sending" prompt, but 99% of the time it doesn't send. When it does it takes about 5 minutes. I have no issues when sending out messages to individually. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
^^^^ that lol... Unfortunately vzw makes you use their network for mms

Probably From A Tree Stand
Learned that the hard way after I switched from unlimited data. Had it turned off because I was using my home wifi anyway & figured if it dropped unexpectedly, I didn't want the phone using background data. Then the gf sent me a pic.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
S

seeburt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s5
Do you have mobile data on when you're sending group messages? They are automatically converted to MMS instead of SMS and require mobile data to be on for you to send/receive from my experience.

Jonny, I'm not sure if its on, but your saying it does need to be on even if I'm at home on my own wi-fi network?

drunkclever

Reaction score
Can you please let me know if it used any of your data, even though you turned it back on while on wifi. I do lots of group texting between my and mine and have been trying to figure things out. TY.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
@drunkclever The data used to send text or mms messages is not usually counted towards data plan usage. It is based of your plans and use of messaging. It just uses the connection to transmit the data to the servers for sending.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
@drunkclever The data used to send text or mms messages is not usually counted towards data plan usage. It is based of your plans and use of messaging. It just uses the connection to transmit the data to the servers for sending.

This is a good thing too. I send images at their full size from the camera. Each image is about 2.5MB.

Also, I receive network status notifications via MMS. If something major goes offline, I can get upwards of 700 MMS messages in just a few minutes. I couldn't image what my data usage would be if that were counted against me.