Group Texting! Droid Does!

droidreajoh

Reaction score
I know many people have been wanting to text groups. I use this function at work on a regular basis and was really disappointed that I couldn't do it......I've discovered how to do it!

1. Download Handcent Messaging app it's free
2. Go to google account and edit contact list as desired. Create groups, etc..
3. Sign into google account on your droid, it should auto synch, (I don't think you will even know it happens)
4. Open Handcent , press upper left 'compose message icon'
In the To: box on the right side there is a green + sign , press that, on top you will see three tabs, Contact/Group/Recent press group, select the appropriate group you created in your google account on your pc. :icon_ banana:

Erich_F

Reaction score
I have done group texting several times from the Native Messaging App on the Droid. What's the mystery?

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Every time I tried handcent it seemed to mess with my facebook updates

Erich_F

Reaction score
I have done group texting several times from the Native Messaging App on the Droid. What's the mystery?

Can you please share the steps of how you did this?

I'll try...a video would be best, I suppose. But, here goes:

1) Tap on Messaging icon
2) A list of previous threads should appear; at the top is the New Message line. Tap here.
3) In the TO line, enter in your first contact.
4) Once your first contact is entered, the cursor may jump down to the Compose line. If so, tap the TO line again, and continue adding contacts. Each contact will be separated with a comma.

Once this first group message is sent out, the thread will remain in history, and you now have a standing "Group" to re-send more messages to.

Now, if you guys are talking about having pre-set groups, I do not see an option to do that in the native Messaging App. However, once you start a thread of messages to a group of contacts, you have essentially done so.

Erich

lbhomie

Reaction score
Well I downloaded Handcent SMS and it does exactly what I need it to!!! Thanks so much!

I just wanted to be able to scroll down my list of contacts and add people to my text and it allowed just that!

Erich_F

Reaction score
I just installed Handcent, myself. Neat little app. I'm going into my Gmail contacts to make some more specific groups, now. :icon_ banana:

lbhomie

Reaction score
is anyone else having the problem of new incoming text messages not being automatically cleared from your notification bar after you read them? does anyone know how to fix that?

smteacher74

Reaction score
Do ya'll take off the messaging icon that came with the phone, turn it off, or how do you do it? I had both going and it was not great, but I didn't want to delete the other icon in case handcent doesn't work for me.