Group text (MMS) issue.

Youngster77

Reaction score
So I've received a could group texts in the form of MMS on my S3. For some reason when people respond it doesn't keep it as a group text but instead I get individual texts from recipients that respond to the group text. Coming from a Bionic whenever I received a group text it would keep all the responses within the group so you could see who is responding and what they're saying. Not a big deal but it is kind of annoying when theres several people on the chain and you have to piece together what everyone is saying. Anyone know a fix to this?

rkclassic06

Reaction score
same here

I'd like to know the answer to this question....I am having the same situation...

richerich

Reaction score
Ditto on the above. Would also like to add that I cannot "reply all" to those group mms messages. Or I'm an idiot and haven't figured it out. Using the standard messaging app.

DannyGlover

Reaction score
Group Messaging on S3 with iPhone users

My iPhone friends always include me on Group messages but it always comes in to me as a separate message from each. Also, when I respond, it only goes to the one guy I respond to. Is there a way to respond to all of them at once so they see what I am saying. Also is there a way to get all their messages collected in one text so I don't keep getting 20 texts from 6 different people?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Do you have group messaging enabled? Open up the messaging app, tap the menu button, then select Settings. Scroll down towards the bottom, and under the "Multimedia message (MMS) settings" category, there's an option for "Group conversations." If that's not checked, check it, and then see how things go.

DannyGlover

Reaction score
Do you have group messaging enabled? Open up the messaging app, tap the menu button, then select Settings. Scroll down towards the bottom, and under the "Multimedia message (MMS) settings" category, there's an option for "Group conversations." If that's not checked, check it, and then see how things go.

My MMS settings do have that option checked. I still get messages as individual messages instead of group messages. When I send messages, does that mean everyone else who is in that same group message will see it?

I got a group message from a friend that includes me and ten others. Every time one of those other people responds, it comes in as a separate message from them. I don't know if my messages go to alll in the group, or just the guy who originated the group message. make sense?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My MMS settings do have that option checked. I still get messages as individual messages instead of group messages. When I send messages, does that mean everyone else who is in that same group message will see it?

I got a group message from a friend that includes me and ten others. Every time one of those other people responds, it comes in as a separate message from them. I don't know if my messages go to alll in the group, or just the guy who originated the group message. make sense?

I merged this thread with an existing thread in the help forum on the same topic. :)

From what I can tell by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.

Last edited:

DannyGlover

Reaction score
I merged this thread with an existing thread in the help forum on the same topic. :)

From what I can by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.

Thanks a lot! that's helpful. I will snag one of those apps.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Handcent state it does it but after downloading all 10 plugins I can't get it to work. Went with gosms, now I'm happy.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Handcent state it does it but after downloading all 10 plugins I can't get it to work. Went with gosms, now I'm happy.

With Handcent, you have to open the app and go to Menu -> Settings -> Application settings and set it as the default messenger. After that, scroll down to the very bottom of the Application settings menu and check the box to enable "Thread group conversation."

Glad to get further confirmation that GoSMS works though!

richerich

Reaction score

My Galaxy S3 on US Cellular does not have the setting for "Group Conversations" described above.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My Galaxy S3 on US Cellular does not have the setting for "Group Conversations" described above.

It's strange that the setting isn't there, but often different carrier versions will have things set up a little differently (and can have different options in the settings). Either way, even with that setting enabled, the group messaging doesn't work properly with the stock messaging app. Try a third-party messaging app like Handcent or GoSMS.

jwiddy

Reaction score
Hello... I just upgraded from a droid incredible to the galaxy s3. So far my ONLY complaint is MMS messanging. I had the verizon messaging app working fairly well on the incredible, but now on the galaxy I can't get it work group mms messages. This is so frustrating that droid can't get this right. I tried go sms pro, handcent, and verizon messanger and they all have the same issue. All of the replies come in as SMS. Thanks!

modeerf

Reaction score
notifications

From what I can tell by looking around online, it seems that the stock messaging app on the S3 doesn't actually support group messaging for incoming texts. You can send a text to a group of people, but with the stock messaging app, there's no way to keep incoming texts from a group conversation all in one thread with the stock messaging app. It's not clear whether this was done on purpose or if it's a bug. The only way around this is to download a third-party messaging app. Here are a few highly-rated options that will handle group messaging properly: Handcent SMS, GO SMS Pro, and Verizon Messages.

I tried the Handcent app, and it is great for using emoji and other featueres to make it "iphone like" but it doesn't solve the group messaging from my personal experience. I have to experiement more to see for sure. Also i get double notifications from it because my default messaging app gets notifications as well as my handcent app so i have to go into both apps to manually clear each notification for every message I get.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I tried the Handcent app, and it is great for using emoji and other featueres to make it "iphone like" but it doesn't solve the group messaging from my personal experience. I have to experiement more to see for sure. Also i get double notifications from it because my default messaging app gets notifications as well as my handcent app so i have to go into both apps to manually clear each notification for every message I get.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Disable the stock messaging app.

Settings -> Application Manager -> select ALL at the top right, scroll down to Messaging and tap it, tap "Disable" at the top right (if it says "Uninstall Updates" at the top right, do that, and then go back into the settings to Messaging and it will say "Disable").

You can enable the stock messaging app in the future if you decide that you want to go back to it.