Group Contacts

ryanm

Reaction score
Is there a way to access groups. Like a work group, family group. I have them saved in groups on my gmail contacts and it let me choose which groups to add from gmail, but i can't distinguish anywhere in my contact.

windstrings

Reaction score
I've worked on the prob for about 12 hours with no luck yet.. downloaded several free apps and one paid and while you can create groups, I can't access them from my messaging areas or pic areas nor can I go to the program and go into the group and access pics or send text.... very frustrating.

Seems one of the basic functions of almost all phones was left out.

OP
ryanm

ryanm

Reaction score
Thanks....same here. It seems the "phone" part wasn't stressed in android development. A few others have hinted at this as well....bring on the apps and updates.

windstrings

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.. because I praise Google... I'm pretty sure they will take over the world some day!
But I think they had thoughts from google gremlins bouncing around in their heads and forgot the obvious... fortunately... these seem to be things that can be fixed with firmware updated I would hope.

GolfGuy54

Reaction score
i know this is an old thread, but is there a way yet to put contacts into groups on the Droid yet?

windstrings

Reaction score
Not sure but it appears they lose interest in updating once newer versions come out.
They choose to shunt all resources at the new stuff.
My HTC incredible does a great job but I'm not sure if thats the sense overlay added to android or what.. but it works great.

Hopefully groupU and the others figured out a way to do it.... last time I checked it wasn't avaiable and all they did is add contacts to "one" contacts....which is not the same as a group.

Let us know if groupU does what you think cause my daughter still runs the droid... I'll tell her about it.

GolfGuy54

Reaction score
Not sure but it appears they lose interest in updating once newer versions come out.
They choose to shunt all resources at the new stuff.
My HTC incredible does a great job but I'm not sure if thats the sense overlay added to android or what.. but it works great.

Hopefully groupU and the others figured out a way to do it.... last time I checked it wasn't avaiable and all they did is add contacts to "one" contacts....which is not the same as a group.

Let us know if groupU does what you think cause my daughter still runs the droid... I'll tell her about it.

well group u seems to be ok. it is separate from your contacts, but it does let you make groups. also, you can add shortcuts to those groups. i just placed an icon for the group i wanted to create on one of my screens and i think that will be fine. i would rather the groups be accessible right from my normal contacts area, but this will work for me i think.

artfuldoc

Reaction score
Placing contacts into groups

i know this is an old thread, but is there a way yet to put contacts into groups on the Droid yet?

I don't know if this applies to all iterations of the Droid (I have the Motorola Droid 2 with O.S. 2.2+something). If you click on your contacts icon, at the top is likely something like "Contacts: all contacts" If you tap on that, you get a drop down that is titled "Show." If you have groups listed, tap the one to which you wish to add names (aka contacts), tap the edit softkey ( the one to the left of the HOME key (the house icon just below the screen), and choose the second choice on the second row, "Edit group." You will be presented with an editable text box that is pre-populated in with the name of the group that you just chose, and at the bottom right is an option to SAVE or ADD. If you choose ADD, you should be presented with your entire contact list (alas alphabetized by first name), with check boxes next to them. Check the ones you want to include in the group, and then click on the bottom button named Done, and then on SAVE, and you should be all set...at least I was!