Greetings from Pony Pasture Rapids

Meffy

Reaction score
I've been using computers since I was a young kit back in the late 1960s. My work involves programming, graphics, Web stuff, electronics engineering, a bit of physics, all that kind of thing.

I like email and such but have never been big on telephones. Too synchronous. Always been pleased not to be connected while out and about, but since having a mild heart attack I've decided it would be good to be able to get medical help in case of trouble while hiking in the swampy forest along the James River (nice place; Captain John Smith explored here in 1607, a bit before the Pocahontas incident).

So: I'm familiar with computers in general but completely new to mobile phones. The Droid X seems a pretty good intro, easy enough to learn, and as a general-purpose handheld device it's a great step up from the ancient Palm IIIxe I've been using since around the reign of Pharaoh Seti I.

One reason I picked an Android device is that I want to develop apps, but don't like Apple's restrictive (and costly!) policy. Downloaded the SDK and programming tools free, even before I went out to buy the phone and sign up for service. I like that openness. Don't know what I'll come up with besides medical/dental software that probably won't interest anyone here, but we'll see.

Best to everyone,

Meffy

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums!! Glad to have you aboard! Something tells me we're going to be seeing your name a lot here with that kind of background! :)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
Meffy

Meffy

Reaction score
Thanks. It'll take a while before I can contribute anything back, but I'm sure to have questions to start off.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We don't mind that at all! Questions are where every one of us started!

Thanks. It'll take a while before I can contribute anything back, but I'm sure to have questions to start off.

DroidForums junkie!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: - anything you need along the way, just ask

OP
Meffy

Meffy

Reaction score
Many thanks. Still learning this thing's capabilities and limitations. Seems to have more of the former than the latter. =O.O= Yum.