GPS that doesn't need 3G connection?

space

Reaction score
I live in the middle of New Mexico and am often driving well outside of even Verizon's mighty 3G network. A GPS that requires 3G to upload map tiles isn't particularly useful to me.

Anyone know about GPS apps that don't require a connection? The 16 GB flash card could easily store maps for all of N. America, so this is possible ... at least in theory.

I know the Google maps app will download map tiles along your route if you program a route beforehand, but that's not useful if I need on-the-fly navigation when I'm out in the boonies.

NegativeX

Reaction score
Possibly:

CoPilot Live Android: ALK Technologies

Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav

Not sure if they need a internet connection... might be worth checking out tho.

And 16GB would be enough for basic map info... but if you want the satellite imagery, it's over 3 Terrabytes for the entire US at 1 meter resolution (and I believe Google is as high as 1/4th of a meter in some areas, which would increase size by 8 fold over 1 meter) so you would need a internet connection to stream this data.

modernheretic

Reaction score
AlpineQuest and Maverick both allow for custom maps of whatever resolutions you want to be stored and searched offline. You use an opensource application that is platform-independent to create "Atlases" and then upload the to your SD card. A very in depth Topo map of the greater Portland (Oregon) area was roughly 200mb for me using my settings. Much less for just roads and such. Much more for hybrid satellite. Images.

Mapdroyd allows you to download maps from your phone for offline use. I think I downloaded all of the Americas and it was 1gb. But mapdroyd is for basic auto-navigation. Roads, highways, etc. And its not nearly as pretty as Google maps.