GPS taking a long time to lock on

OP
LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Sorry-what does 230,232,902 mean? I am having the same issue but illiterate how to safely fix phone. Thks.

Those are version numbers for the system image used by Motorola to identify what patch set you have. The bionic shipped with 886 originally, and it had a lot of bugs which got mostly worked out in subsequent patches 893, 902 and 905. Those were all Android Gingerbread, or version 2.3, based.

Ice cream sandwich, or Android version 4.0, hasn't been released yet for the bionic, but some leaks have been found which can be installed. I'm not sure I'd i remember all that have come out, but i remember 2231, 2233, 229, 230, 232, 235 & just discovered, 238.

Does that help clear things up?

Sent from my ICS Bionic

OP
LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
If you go into system settings, then down at the bottom is about phone...what you are looking for is system version. It will look something like 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US (that one is the 905 version)

Sent from my ICS Bionic

Tonik

Reaction score
I have been watching this tread as I have the same issue. After some Google'ing and some testing I have an answer on what is causing it. The problem is very widespread across many Android phones and Manufacturers. There is even a google bug report that was started by a Google rep to gather information. It is the latest update to Google Maps. The GPS Status fix isn't a permanent fix. What happens is your GPS Status isn't broken of course..it gets a lock and you close it. When you then open Maps the GPS lock is still active and Maps uses that and it appears to be fixed. Wait a while for the GPS lock to reset and open Maps and you will be right back where you are.

So you can open GPS Status each time you want to use Maps, or Nav or Lattitude....or you can hit manage apps and uninstall the updates for Google Maps and you will find you get a GPS lock like normal again.

sustained

Reaction score
I have been watching this tread as I have the same issue. After some Google'ing and some testing I have an answer on what is causing it. The problem is very widespread across many Android phones and Manufacturers. There is even a google bug report that was started by a Google rep to gather information. It is the latest update to Google Maps. The GPS Status fix isn't a permanent fix. What happens is your GPS Status isn't broken of course..it gets a lock and you close it. When you then open Maps the GPS lock is still active and Maps uses that and it appears to be fixed. Wait a while for the GPS lock to reset and open Maps and you will be right back where you are.

So you can open GPS Status each time you want to use Maps, or Nav or Lattitude....or you can hit manage apps and uninstall the updates for Google Maps and you will find you get a GPS lock like normal again.

I don't doubt that is happening to others. But I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because that hasn't been my experience. I'm running stock 905. Although it can take (I'm estimating) 30 to 60 seconds to get a GPS lock I haven't had any other problems. And that's with multiple uses of maps and navigation. YMMV

Last edited:

hansangb

Reaction score
So like most people, I started getting slow GPS lock. It's annoying because when you need it (like you missed a turn), you have to wait 2-5 minutes for a lock to occur.

I am on 5.9.905 XT875 release. (and latest MAPS software/update)

I tried the following and it did *not* help.
1) Uninstalled MAP update.
2) Installed GPS Status and Toolbox to erase the cache and download the AGPS data.
4) Installed GPSFIX to keep a lock on GPS.
5) Disabled Google Location Service.
6) Erased app cache.
7) Maps, settings, offiline and cache, and used "Clear all map tiles"

None of the above worked for me. Then after re-installing the MAPS update, I went into Maps, Settings, Location Settings, and unchecked EVERYTHING (some were checked, others were not).

Then magically, my navigation (and GPS Status) starting locking on in seconds like before.

Hopefully, this is what did it.

Good luck!

hansang

Phasedroid

Reaction score
San Diego, California, USA, Planet Earth, Sol syst
hansangb said:
So like most people, I started getting slow GPS lock. It's annoying because when you need it (like you missed a turn), you have to wait 2-5 minutes for a lock to occur.

I am on 5.9.905 XT875 release. (and latest MAPS software/update)

I tried the following and it did *not* help.
1) Uninstalled MAP update.
2) Installed GPS Status and Toolbox to erase the cache and download the AGPS data.
4) Installed GPSFIX to keep a lock on GPS.
5) Disabled Google Location Service.
6) Erased app cache.
7) Maps, settings, offiline and cache, and used "Clear all map tiles"

None of the above worked for me. Then after re-installing the MAPS update, I went into Maps, Settings, Location Settings, and unchecked EVERYTHING (some were checked, others were not).

Then magically, my navigation (and GPS Status) starting locking on in seconds like before.

Hopefully, this is what did it.

Good luck!

hansang

My wife's Bionic did the same thing and I tried all of the above. Her GPS wouldn't get within a 1000 yards for accuracy. Eventually I did an FDR and that fixed it.

Graymayre

Reaction score
The best fix for this is to download the app "GPS Status" which will force the GPS to function at 100%. Then load maps.

Raged Bionic