GPS not Locking

djspy

Reaction score
Us OG RAZR owners had the same problem when we updated to ICS. I did a factory Data reset and cleared cache and GPS locked on in 1 or 2 seconds after that all the time.

harp666

Reaction score
My DROID RAZR Max HD has no problem locking on to GPS..as a matter of fact it has to be the fastest lock -on of any phone I've ever had...less than 5 seconds.
Odd that some people are having problems.

bman6074

Reaction score
I really wish I knew what you are trying to say in this thread!

Sorry that's spell checker for you. I've corrected it so you can understand what i am saying LOL
I went to bestbuy where I got the phone and the geek squad guy turned on all GPS settings as in the screen shot and now GPS is working fine. I don't have to turn all of them on again just stand alone GPS and it works. I wonder if it was just engaging something by turning then all on once. Hope it helps others.

as an update i still have to turn on at least 2 of the settings to make it work.

Last edited:

bman6074

Reaction score
harp666 said:
My DROID RAZR Max HD has no problem locking on to GPS..as a matter of fact it has to be the fastest lock -on of any phone I've ever had...less than 5 seconds.
Odd that some people are having problems.

What settings do you turn on for GPS?

I found that I have to turn 2 of these 3 settings to get GPS to work as you described.

View attachment 58488

If I try to use this widget and turn on GPS which turns on "standalone GPS services" it won't lock on.

View attachment 58489

At this point I have swapped the phone once already and have the same experience. Is there a way to make a shortcut to turn on the google location services so I don't have to go into the settings each time?
Thanks

bman6074

Reaction score
harp666 said:
All 3 settings are turned on

Ok that is why your GPS works. If you try only standalone GPS does your GPS work? Reboot your phone wait an hour or longer then try GPS standalone.

I also found if I reboot standalone GPS works but if I don't use GPS standalone right after I reboot it requires 2 of the settings selected.

harp666

Reaction score
Turned all off except stand -alone for GPS and still locks instantly .

bman6074

Reaction score
harp666 said:
Turned all off except stand -alone for GPS and still locks instantly .

Ok but did reboot and wait as I mentioned? Or did you just turn off the other settings? After I turned on 2 of the settings it locked and then turned all off then just standalone GPS it locked.

blackterry

Reaction score
How do you view the satellites.. ?? Also GPS Doctor does not work don't bother.

Last edited:

AirJunky

Reaction score
I've seen similar issues on Droids with ICS & JB on them. A developer suggested we run an app called Ulysse Gizmos. He said there is a conversion done in the software that converts the NMEA stream from the GPS to Location fixes that the applications use. I guess this conversion is cleaned up by the Gizmos app... possibly something caused by the OS or faster CPUs. He said that we'd only have to run it one time whenever the phone was booted up. But so far we've had to run Gizmos in the background anytime another app using the GPS is running. They are evaluating future updates to clean this conversion up.

bman6074

Reaction score
Hope the developers see this and it gets updated in the OS soon. Maybe an update by Jan to JB.

bman6074

Reaction score
Has anyone tried turning off all GPS settings and installing plan-b from there google account in the play store online. It's supposed to turn your GPS and then send you a location email. It's used as a plan b if you have lost your phone. This worked great on Droid x. But doesn't seem to work on the HD.
what are others results?

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
Okay folks, this may sound crazy, but you have to trust me on this; with GPS on, move your phone in a figure 8 for 5-6 rotations. Flip it end over end, just rotate it in every possible direction you can. You may not get a spot on fix, but you should then find yourself within 10-20 feet of where you are. The trick with GPS on different devices, is technically, once you've turned it on, you actually need to be moving for a fix to be associated to your actual position. Most of the HTC phones I've owned had these same directions in their GPS SETUP. I just tried this with data off (you don't need data on for GPS to work by the way), wifi off, google location off and VZW off and my position shows my location to bein my garage, even though I'm sitting about 20 feet away,in my living room. Good luck and I hope this helps.

bman6074

Reaction score
Bigbootyman said:
Okay folks, this may sound crazy, but you have to trust me on this; with GPS on, move your phone in a figure 8 for 5-6 rotations. Flip it end over end, just rotate it in every possible direction you can. You may not get a spot on fix, but you should then find yourself within 10-20 feet of where you are. The trick with GPS on different devices, is technically, once you've turned it on, you actually need to be moving for a fix to be associated to your actual position. Most of the HTC phones I've owned had these same directions in their GPS SETUP. I just tried this with data off (you don't need data on for GPS to work by the way), wifi off, google location off and VZW off and my position shows my location to bein my garage, even though I'm sitting about 20 feet away,in my living room. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I tried this. it did not work for me.
Once I turned on one if the other settings (google or VZ) it locked in a second.
Such a pain to have to go and turn on the other setting especially since there's no widget to quickly toggle it on and off like you can with GPS.

bman6074

Reaction score
I just got the jelly bean update this morning. Tried GPS standalone and it locked on. I am hoping this is fixed but will continue to test as i have noticed after a reboot standalone would work but then after a few hours I had to turn on 2 of the settings to get GPS to lock on.
Anyone else get Jelly Bean yet? What are your results with standalone GPS?
thanks