GPS Navigation just a little off...

anuraj1

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the GPS on the Droid, because I am terrible with directions. Navigation has been working great until the last couple of days, where it consistently shows me driving on side streets and frontage roads even when I am on major streets. Basically, it shows me as being a little to the left of where I really am no matter what direction I'm going. Anyone encounter this problem?

I searched the forum and I read a couple of threads about peoples' GPSs being inaccurate, or the route not being the quickest, and I saw that using GPA Status and spinning the phone and doing figure 8s helps. No luck for me though. Any input would be very appreciated.

-Raj

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's more likely Google's Maps than the GPS... Unfortunately there aren't any other maps that I know of (i.e. TomTom) yet to compare them too. I know that here in my area it's the maps though, because it's ALWAYS/consistently inaccurate (i.e. it will always show me in the exact same place, just wrong on the map). When I go to other areas of Nashville it's DEAD ON, thus furthering my belief it's the Maps and not the GPS unit itself. Hopefully TomTom will release a Android version soon.

cj100570

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the GPS on the Droid, because I am terrible with directions. Navigation has been working great until the last couple of days, where it consistently shows me driving on side streets and frontage roads even when I am on major streets. Basically, it shows me as being a little to the left of where I really am no matter what direction I'm going. Anyone encounter this problem?

I searched the forum and I read a couple of threads about peoples' GPSs being inaccurate, or the route not being the quickest, and I saw that using GPA Status and spinning the phone and doing figure 8s helps. No luck for me though. Any input would be very appreciated.

-Raj

it's not just the Droid. there were some sporadic issues with the system in general starting sunday night according to the Air Force Space Command.

OyVOid

Reaction score
You're not alone. I was in Los Angeles over Christmas break for about a week. Every day I used Google Maps to find my way back to the hotel from wherever I had gone and it will tell me to turn right in to a fenced yard. It said my destination was on the right. But my hotel was actually on the left side of the street. I learned early on not to believe everything I hear. Oh, and my boyfriend and I dubbed the voice that gives you the navigating directions "Shirley" because we both said in union "Surely, this can't be freakin' right!"

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
it's not just the Droid. there were some sporadic issues with the system in general starting sunday night according to the Air Force Space Command.

Weird, so every GPS unit was sporadically affected? That sounds like a major problem.

Oh, and my boyfriend and I dubbed the voice that gives you the navigating directions "Shirley" because we both said in union "Surely, this can't be freakin' right!"

That's hilarious hahaha

lschicky

Reaction score
hahaha I've had that problem with my regular GPS once in awhile. I noticed it got worse as the maps got more out of date on that.