GPS/Google Nav not working for Android devices in CNY

mikec5867

Reaction score
As of August 18, a large amount of Android devices in upstate NY on the Verizon network have not been able to use Google Nav or lock onto GPS satellites. Verizon, as is typical of them, has not officially admitted to the issue. Some tech support personnel try to blame Google, others are saying it is an HTC issue (since it was noticed first on the Incredible and Thunderbolt).

My local store rep told me that it seems to be a result of the 4G rollout, which is more likely, as the issue began the same day. I have three affected devices in my house, a Thunderbolt (unrooted), an Incredilble and an OG Droid (both rooted and running custom ROMs). My Xoom, which is WIFI-only (hence not on the Verizon network) is working correctly.

If you are in the affected area and are having an issue, please make a post on the Google Mobile forum posted below. In that thread, you will find ways to contact Verizon tech support and have them open a ticket. The more people who report the issue, the more likely Verizon is to acknowledge it and get it fixed.

Phone located in USA shows GPS Location moving thru SPAIN? Has my Phone been Hacked? - Google Mobile Help

diverbelow

Reaction score
I read early this morning, there is an issue with Verizon and GPS. One of the posters said to do this. I am not in NY so I don't know if it works or not.
turn on gps
activate airplane mode
run gps test by mike lockwood – menu>clear aiding data
exit airplane mode
satellites seen and lock

magnamover

Reaction score
Central NY and my Droid and Droid 2 will not fix on GPS as of last Wednesday.

OP
M

mikec5867

Reaction score
As of last night around 10pm, Verizon has fixed the issue. I tried to get lock and use Google Nav on two of the three phones and it worked.

spider210

Reaction score
deleted data/cache of maps app and reloaded a-gps information using 'gps status' app and now its working again. not sure what was going on but i was traveling and all 3 phones (droid x , thunderbold, and incredible ) all were not working through upstate ny and albany ny. now its working again.

britdude

Reaction score
still the same here...

Just uninstalled maps update and bingo its working..weird...

1 min later..stopped again

seems to be a little sporadic

Last edited:

computersoftware121

Reaction score
Has my phones MAC Adr. been cloned onto a phone in Spain? .... Wow, I find it interesting that Google's free navigation system is suddenly not working on Verizon phones ... different android devices, but all on the Verizon Wireless network. ... Why are all GPS apps effected (not just Google Maps and Nav)? ...

Last edited:

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I'm in an office building in Syracuse, NY right now, and Google apps are locating me fairly accurately with GPS on (for being inside). I haven't noticed any problems the last few days. I will note that the 4G LTE seems to turn on and off though. It hasn't been consistently on aside from the first couple days before and after the official release.

Faulkner33

Reaction score
Same thing here in Atlanta the past few days on my wifes original droid.

Caranator

Reaction score
My issue may not be the same as others are experiencing. #1 I'm not in NY and B) I never had the issue with the weather sending me to another country. Basically, whenever I tried to use the Google nav, I got the map with the "searching for GPS" message and it never did locate me by GPS. I tweeted the question/problem to VZW support and they had me do a soft reset (pull battery while phone is still on, wait 60 seconds, reinsert and power up). Seems to be working for now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited:

creaky

Reaction score
I can't get the GPS to lock in on my X. Been like this for a couple of weeks at least. Very frustrating....

Chuck1026

Reaction score
Here it is, late September 2011, and my Droid X2 with Google Maps and Nav will lock "searching for gps" or just as bad, simply reboot the phone! It has been doing this since I bought it early summer 2011 (even before this Aug 2011 announcement).

I though Gingerbread would help, but it has not. I recently cleared most apps and cleaned the cache and SD card, but that did not correct it.

Today, travelling from Syracuse to Auburn, it rebooted my phone 3 times. Yesterday the phone rebooted in Liverpool heading towards the city of Syracuse and again in Syracuse.

So what is the problem? Software, hardware, momentary 3G drops or ?!? I was so mad this AM that I amost threw the POS out of my car window.

Does anyone have better luck with a different navigation app from the Market???