GPS doesn't use battery life?

bbohannon

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that when enabled, GPS consumes memory and battery life, even if you are not executing an app that uses GPS.

I installed the Mobile Defense App today and it requires some sort of locating device for it to work when activated such as Wi-fi or GPS. I know for a fact Wi-fi consumes battery life but the email from Mobile Defense states:

"Contrary to popular belief, enabling the GPS doesn't actually mean the GPS is consuming any power. GPS will not start looking for signals unless a GPS enabled application is running."

Does anyone have any insight on this? If this is the case, I will just always leave GPS enabled.

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you know where to look to see how your battery power is consumed? Settings/about phone/battery use.

I leave my GPS on all the time and I do not see it running down my battery. We got to break you out of that blackberry thinking.:) Battery pulls are not necessary either.;)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It does use battery, but only when an app is asking.....and it seems to be a minor amount. At least in my experience....

OP
B

bbohannon

Reaction score
Do you know where to look to see how your battery power is consumed? Settings/about phone/battery use.

I leave my GPS on all the time and I do not see it running down my battery. We got to break you out of that blackberry thinking.:) Battery pulls are not necessary either.;)

Sorry I'm still new to this OS and am trying to optimize it as much as I can ;)

I have looked at my battery usage and do not completely understand it.

Display -59%
Android Core Apps - 22%
Android System - 11%
Cell standby, android OS, Handcent, etc etc. 3%

Obviously the display will take up a lot but I do not even know what is "a lot." I don't know what makes up the core apps or the android system to even know how to control this battery usage.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Core apps are the ones that are installed in the ROM. You cannot delete them unless rooted...

lumpysherman

Reaction score

I actually had to do a battery pull today. My Droid wouldn't respond to anything. Good to know about the GPS not sucking up the battery.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I actually had to do a battery pull today. My Droid wouldn't respond to anything. Good to know about the GPS not sucking up the battery.

I was referring to the daily battery pulls that blackberry is famous for. I didn't mean there would never be a time you'd need to do a pull.