GPS app to navigate outdoors (no 3G)

cm1979

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been searching for an app that would navigate me to a point that i know the actual coordinates of. Say i am hiking outdoors and there is no cell service. I know the coordinates of the point that i want to get to - Is there an app that would direct me there? What i am trying to accomplish sounds like a pretty basic thing for a gps, yet i could not find such an app yet.

Note that i have used mytracks for my hiking trips and it works great. I could save waypoints etc. But it doesnt help me with the above question.

Thanks in advance.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are some existing threads on this. I don't have links handy but I recall apps such as Backcountry Navigator and Oruxmaps being suggested in the past.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I THINK the App called GPS Status by EclipSim does that. I have it but I've never checked in to that specific function. But I'm 90% sure it can.

ckburks

Reaction score
If someone can figure out how to get gps to take me to another lat long location you'd be my hero....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

monstergirl

Reaction score
Maverick lets you enter coordinates and use the gps to navigate to that location.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ckburks

Reaction score
Maverick looks cool.... how does it give navigation if there isn't cell service though when only the lat long is entered?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It wont show a map if there's no service. It will show distance to waypoint. Doesn't anyone remember what an original GPS was like?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

monstergirl

Reaction score
Maverick will show your location if you make sure to cache the maps for that area before you head out of cell service area. Plan ahead and you can have a base map.

ckburks

Reaction score
Crap no... I can't remember my name most of the times. Wish there was a way to download maps like mapdroid. Distance and direction to spot would work though during a canoe trip. Now to just waterproof my droid.

monstergirl

Reaction score
Well if you fail to plan for waterproofing, run to any gas station, pick up a plain condom, roll it over your phone, and tie a good knot to seal it up! :) Instant, tough, and cheap waterproofing in an emergency.

OP
C

cm1979

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Maverick will do the trick.

Mr.What

Reaction score
could be the answer

Maverick will show your location if you make sure to cache the maps for that area before you head out of cell service area. Plan ahead and you can have a base map.

This could be excellent. Sounds exactly like what I could use for hiking off the grid.

I'm headed to Europe soon. Is there a way I can tell the phone to stay
off 3g (airplane mode?) even it it is available and use Maverick?

ross_far123

Reaction score
use viewranger

Hi CM,

view ranger works on droid, and you can download maps before heading out for a hike (ie. with no coverage). you get pretty much all the functionality of a garmin gps, plus some. to mark gps coords, load up the menu and go to 'enter new POI'.

I swear by this app for hiking in the UK because it lets you buy only the parts of a map that you need for your walk, so works out cost efficient.

R.