Got ICS OTA- folder (groups) missing

jbartos

Reaction score
I have tried to install Groups (formerly) Folders on my home screen, but nothing appears. Any thoughts?

makoti

Reaction score
Don't want to hijack your question, but I think I am in a similar boat. I want to put a folder I created on my stock GB Bionic onto the home screen. I can't figure it out. I can create a new one, no problem. I can find the folder in my app drawer. But when I open it & press add to home, I get nothing. I can't figure out how to drag it (or long press it, now) to where I want it.
Is this what you are talking about?

OP
J

jbartos

Reaction score
Yes, the folders I had on the GB are listed as groups on the ICS under the apps screen, but do not appear on the home screen. I also tried to create a new folder and add it to the home screen and that also did not work.

makoti

Reaction score
Ok. At least it's not just me. :happy3: If I figure it out, I'll post the answer.

jayman350

Reaction score
the way to create folders in ics is very simple. long press on an app to add it to the homescreen, then go back into the app drawer and select another one to add, drag it on top of the other app and release, the two should be put into a folder on the homescreen.

afaik these will not show up as a group in the drawer (or vice-versa)

hope this helps, if not please disregard

makoti

Reaction score
jayman,

Thanks for taking the time to help, but for me at least, that isn't the problem.
I have existing folders that I created on the stock .905GB. All I want to do is move them back to where they were before the update, the home screen. I can see & open these folders in the app drawer, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them onto the home screen.
Basically, I don't want to re-create the folders unless there is no other option.

OP
J

jbartos

Reaction score
That solution requires redoing your folders, but I'll accept that. I could not figure that out at all. Thanks.

Hilorains

Reaction score
Have the same problem with folders so I did the drag/drop to create groups as an interim fix. My wife's ICS Razr does not have this problem so this seems to be a problem with the Bionic's ICS.

it7276

Reaction score
You're using the word "Folders" when you should be just saying "Groups" or "App Groups."

Folders (which are available in all manufacturer's versions of Android, as far as I know) is a way to collect apps on a Homescreen, and is limited to 16 apps per group.

Groups (which I believe are Motorola-specifc, though I could be wrong) are a way to manage apps in your App Drawer, and in Gingerbread you could also add these to your Homescreen. There is no limit to the amount of apps you can add to a Group, as far as I know.

I too have tried to add these to the Homescreen after ICS and it doesn't work, saying that there is no space on my Homescreen, even if I remove all other icons from the Homescreen. So if this gets resolved I'd definitely like to know about it.

Tonik

Reaction score
Don't try and move the folders you have is my guess, i don't have any. Make new groups...start stacking the icons. That is working for me.