Google Voice Issue Please Help!

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I am trying to get my Google Voice to work on my Verizon Wireless Phone anyone know how to fix it? It is still showing Sprint Google Voice on my Google Voice account even though I ported to Verizon already.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's showing Sprint when you login on the computer?

Are you trying to use the Google Voice app, or do you have GV setup in Hangouts on the phone?

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Yes when I log into Google Voice it is still showing Sprint Google Voice even though I am with Verizon Wireless Now. I log into google voice online and through the App.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess I'm still a little confused as to the main thing you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get GV to ring/send texts to your cell, display your voicemails on your cell, or both?

You mean it's showing Sprint in the Settings where you tell it to "Forward calls to:"? If so, does it have your correct phone number there (even if it says Sprint)? As long as the number is right, that should be fine.

When you say you ported to Verizon, you mean you ported your Sprint number to Verizon? That could be why it's still showing Sprint. Each carrier has their own prefixes that they use and the GV system may simply read your number, see the first 3 digits after the area code and assume it's a Sprint number. However, like I said, as long as the number shows correctly, it shouldn't matter what carrier it says in the GV settings.

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I am trying to have Google Voice work as my Voicemail to Text and Also keep records of my Text messages. I want Google Voicemail to work and text messages to work. Right now Google Voicemail, Voicemail to text, and text messages are not working.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To setup GV for voicemail for Verizon, do the following:

If you are having trouble configuring Google Voice as your voicemail service on Verizon you can make the switch manually by dialing these three activation codes:

• *71[Your Google Voice number]
  • *90[Your Google Voice number]
  • *92[Your Google Voice number]
Source: Set up or remove Google voicemail - Google Voice Help

Additionally, I'm assuming you're saying that in the settings, where I have (Verizon) listed, you have (Sprint), based on what you've told me so far.
gv vzw.PNG

In that box, when I click on ^Activate Google voicemail on this phone, I get the following popup box, which has the option to Change carrier right at the top. Have you tried going in there and changing it to Verizon?
gv vzw 2.PNG

Also, when you said you're using the app, I'm assuming you're using the Google Voice app? I've opted to send and receive sms via the "Hangouts" app, which I also use for texting with my Verizon number, and where my voicemails that have been turned into text show up in-line with texts from that same contact. Pretty slick to keep all correspondence in the same place.

Does any of that help you at all? Haha

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I dialed all the codes, but when I tried to Change where Sprint shows next to my number I received this message
Disable SPRINT on your Google Voice account?
Help
Google Voice cannot be disable the Sprint integration on this phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be disabled.
Disabling your SPRINT mobile number will remove it from your Google Voice account.

All your existing voicemail and text messages will remain available in your inbox.

If you want to continue using the full set of Google Voice features, you can always do so by choosing a Google Voice number later.

Sprint tells me they can no longer do anything because the number is with Verizon and Verizon has no idea what to do.

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
This is what I see
Your Google Voice Number
My Number

- enabled by
sprint_logo.png
Disable

Forwards calls to:

My Email

Edit

Delete
Sprint Mobile Phone

sprint_logo.png
Google Voice Enabled
My Number

- Mobile
Receive text messages on this phone
Notify me of new voicemails via text

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Might be a stupid question, but have you tried deleting that phone and then adding a new one (the same number if you switched carriers)?

The more I'm thinking about this, I'm thinking you want to make sure the system knows which carrier you're on. If there's no option to change carrier, I'd delete it and start over again like I'm setting it up for the first time (as far as you mobile number is concerned).

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Is that even possible or will Google Voice be forever locked on to my number with this Google Voice Sprint Integration issue?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is that even possible or will Google Voice be forever locked on to my number with this Google Voice Sprint Integration issue?
I'll be honest, it'd be easier for me to assess what's going on there if you could take a screenshot instead of copying the text. It loses the formatting. You can do so by using the Print Screen button on your keyboard (may have to hold Shift at the same time, depending on model of keyboard), then open up paint and press Ctrl + V to paste it. Be sure to use paint to cover any personal info before saving and posting here.

You've got options for Edit, Delete, Disable, etc, but without seeing exactly how they look on the screen, it's hard for me to really figure out what you might want to do. Since I have an option to change carriers, I would think you've got the option as well, but I've never switched from Sprint, so I'm not familiar with the difference in the settings on GV (and to be honest, I had to bring mine up to even know what THEY look like).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And your phone number is the same because you moved it from sprint to Verizon? I'd try using the add another number link & see if it'll let you add that same number but tell it Verizon is your carrier.

However, I'm guessing it won't let you do that, so you'll probably have to disable the sprint number, but I'd try the add a number first to be sure.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
If I disable it will I lose my number permanently

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Maybe you need to talk with Sprint? I setup my Google Voice number through Google directly, so it's not tied to my mobile account except for what I've setup to get voicemails and etc.

Did you port your GV number to Sprint, then port it to Verizon?

I guess I'm missing something in your initial setup process since it's different than what I did.