Google Voice--Initial Choices Question

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I see you have a choice of Google number or non-Google number. If you chose one or the other, can you change that choice later?

Apparently, the most versatile choice is a Google number. Why would you not chose that option? I was going to ask "which is better for me?", but I may not be aware of some limitations or problems of one choice vs the other.

Thanks

Droider

Reaction score
Right now if you choose a non-google number (such as using your current cell number and just using some of the voicemail features of GV) then you cannot later switch to a google number. However, Google continues to develop and evolve the service and I can only imagine that at some point they will allow people to switch from one to the other.

monkeydog

Reaction score
You cannot go back and redo your choice at the moment. So if you choose not to pick a google number there is no way to go back and choose one. There is practically no reason not to get a google number, you don't have to use it and if you don't choose one you are restricting yourself from a lot of features.

Here is a copypasta of a post of mine from a previous thread in case you or anyone else has chosen not to pick a google number and have changed their mind about the decision.
How about this one..

I was in such a rush to set up my Google Voice account I clicked "Use my mobile number" instead of having google give me a number. Does anyone know if there is a way to go back and get a google number? Thanks

Unfortunately there is no way to do this at the moment. Unless you get a 2nd voice account. Here is a nearly 500 post thread from the google help forums on this issue

I actually chose to use my own number at first too. To fix it you need to get a 2nd voice account (choose a google number this time) on a seperate google account and then fill out this form to have the 2nd voice account transferred to your main account. The transfer can take anywhere from a couple days to 2 weeks, it took them 9 days to transfer mine.

I would give you another invite if I had one so you could sort it out. If you don't have access to another invite and really want to get this fixed instead of waiting for google to fix it you can find voice invites for $.99 on ebay fairly easily. It's what I did to get the 2nd voice account.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thank you for the very clear and helpful info, and FAST, too! That helps a lot. Thanks again.:)