Google Voice - got charged $60.??????

droidx2010

Reaction score
I thought you can text using google voice without being charged? I used voice for all my texting & got charged $.20 per text msg. that came to over $60 last month.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I text w/out a charge? Damn - I'm paying $30/mo for data service, you'd think I'd get more.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not sure i thought the same thing. Waiting for an answer as well.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Were you texting to other GV users? Pretty sure it's only free when its GV to GV, not GV to regular mobile.

OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
Were you texting to other GV users? Pretty sure it's only free when its GV to GV, not GV to regular mobile.
No - I only had it. That's not what I was told. I read somewhere in here & another source (can't find where I saw it from) that if you get a phone # from google voice, you can use that number for texting w/out being charged. I was told that's the beauty of Google Voice.

styleznma

Reaction score
This is complete bs, argue it and they will drop it one time maybe two, play dumb

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with how you have gv set up. I had mine set up to show the number of the person calling gv and it was being charged minutes, I changed it to show gv in the cid and it now shows up as mob to mob since it's a f/f number
Not sure how to set it for texts as I don't use it for texting

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

lewwill

Reaction score
The video on the app, which was on my phone when I got it, says nothing about a charge. Is that only for texting? I don't text much and don't have a text pkg. It is nice for searches and directions. I guess I had better check my bill or call VZ.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Contact Verizon and ask about it. If you had no texting plan on the phone at all and something wasn't set up correctly you weren't texting for free. Also, make absolutely sure you have your GV outgoing number in your F&F list, otherwise every call is eating minutes.

lewwill

Reaction score
I thought you can text using google voice without being charged? I used voice for all my texting & got charged $.20 per text msg. that came to over $60 last month.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I text w/out a charge? Damn - I'm paying $30/mo for data service, you'd think I'd get more.

Google Voice - Features#
check out this site and the "mobile app" section. It says FREE. Looks like a great app but do you have to sign up for a Google phone nr.?

thinkmega

Reaction score

When you said the cost of sms is $.2 per message, it seems you might have forwarded the message to your phone and you did not request disabling sms on your phone from your carrier.

If you forward msg to your phone, you should receive two notifications when a message comes in. Please check your gv setting using a browser and make sure you do not have to sms forwarded again.

If you find gv is reliable, you should tell your carrier that you do not want to send/receive sms on your phone. Otherwise, each sms in or out would cost you something.

The last thing and the most important thing is to negotiate with your carrier for a reduced fee or its entirety. Hope things work out for you.

JMT_Cam

Reaction score
You need to sign up for a custom Google Voice number and use that for all your outbound and inbound text messages via the app on your phone. Its free because you are using an online service (Google) over your data plan and not regular text bundle.

If you are positive that you are using a Google Voice number for all inbound and outbound texts via the app on your phone and are still being charged, then you should contact verizon.

OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
Contact Verizon and ask about it. If you had no texting plan on the phone at all and something wasn't set up correctly you weren't texting for free. Also, make absolutely sure you have your GV outgoing number in your F&F list, otherwise every call is eating minutes.
Oh really?? I wasn't texting for free?? Isn't that what I just said? I was being charged=wasn't texting for free. I dont use GV for calling, only for texting.
My question was how to set up gv so I don't get charged for texting. I already know I was charged.

OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
You need to sign up for a custom Google Voice number and use that for all your outbound and inbound text messages via the app on your phone. Its free because you are using an online service (Google) over your data plan and not regular text bundle.

If you are positive that you are using a Google Voice number for all inbound and outbound texts via the app on your phone and are still being charged, then you should contact verizon.
I already have a custom google voice number & thought I already use that for my outbound & inbound text messages. When I send a text to someone, they say my cell number is showing up as another number. Isn't that a sign that my custom # is working? I'm still being charged.
When I do get a reply text, I get 2 of the same msg's. One from the person texting & teh other from, like a google msg. but I tried sending from both sources & still get charged for both.

JMT_Cam

Reaction score

I already have a custom google voice number & thought I already use that for my outbound & inbound text messages. When I send a text to someone, they say my cell number is showing up as another number. Isn't that a sign that my custom # is working? I'm still being charged.
When I do get a reply text, I get 2 of the same msg's. One from the person texting & teh other from, like a google msg. but I tried sending from both sources & still get charged for both.

Sounds like you need to go into the settings on your app and turn off text message notifications. Seems like when ever you get a message on GV app it sends you a text message to your regular number letting you know you got a text message. The option is on by default and I think was made more for voice mail notification, but it will also catch texts.

Look for the setting called "Notifications via text message" and see if that works.