Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's all I can say is... wow! Huge! The FTC will probably have a cow, though...

Motorola should be ripe with patents. Notice that Apple and MS haven't gone after Motorola. HTC can't be too happy, though. They've got nowhere to go now. MS is locked in with Nokia and Google with Motorola.

Still, I'm happy. All these recent patent disputes have been hurting Android significantly. That should soon come to an end. I suspect that Google acquired a few patents that will hurt Oracle/Sun as well.

No No, didn't you hear?? HTC came out the best in all of this, they paired up with BEATS!!!!! Who needs Google, MS, or apple when you have Dr. Dre at cha back.... /sarcasm

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What should I used? Can you Smell what the Rock is Cookin!!! Or You can See Me!!! Or Go Old School "Every bodies Got A Price!!!":rofl3: Sorry I love Wrestling!!!

I would have perfect: "Oh you didn't know???? Yo @$$ betta call someboooddddyyyyyyy!"

Haven't watched in a long time, but I was all about the New Age Outlaws and The Hardy Boys.

Okay, back on topic...

Beardface

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to rain on the parade, but this is NOT good for competition. Not good at all. Moto makes good devices, yes, but so does Samsung and HTC, and now Google has a vested interest in making the Android platform completely incompatible with HTC and Samsung, or at least make those 2 companies jump through multiple hoops to make their devices run Android flawlessly.

Moto is good for now, but when Google starts designing Android to run exclusively on Moto with no regard to competition cause they can, will you still be signing the same tune?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think HTC and Samsung will continue to have a strong partnership with Android. Like Google said, they will run this as a separate entity.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

droid_mike

Reaction score
I am thinking that HTC could Go Straight Windows phones!!!

And go out of business? For one thing, MS has a deal with Nokia which makes them nearly the exclusive provider for MS phones, and for another, no one wants to buy the crappy MS phone. Why would HTC sink with Nokia?

GBH2

Reaction score
From the press release:
"... but there is no single phone or Android manufacturer that can best the iPhone."

Why is it that Google is still trying to "beat" the iPhone? With all the phones that have Android now, I doubt there will ever be a single hardware/software configured phone that will be more popular than the iPhone.

Any thoughts?

Agreed it is a bit odd - but I think it wasn't meant so much as "we need to beat the iphone" as it was a reassurance to HTC, Samsung, etc. that it did not buy Motorola to build a "Google superphone" and that Google is still committed to the same relationship with it's partners that has allowed Android as a whole, although across many handsets/manufacturers, to surpass the amazing popularity of iPhone in a ridiculously short amount of time.

droid_mike

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to rain on the parade, but this is NOT good for competition. Not good at all. Moto makes good devices, yes, but so does Samsung and HTC, and now Google has a vested interest in making the Android platform completely incompatible with HTC and Samsung, or at least make those 2 companies jump through multiple hoops to make their devices run Android flawlessly.

Moto is good for now, but when Google starts designing Android to run exclusively on Moto with no regard to competition cause they can, will you still be signing the same tune?

Google has more of an incentive to keep Android open. They make money via market share, not hardware sales (like Apple). The CEO said that they bought Moto purely for the patents and are not looking to corner the Android hardware market. Such a move would reduce Android market share, and hence, advertising revenue. HTC and Samsung may feel differently about it, but Google has every incentive to "keep spreading the news" with Android.

Detonation

Reaction score
"Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business"

Sorry folks, Blur isn't going away. Google bought them for the patents.

GBH2

Reaction score
Google has more of an incentive to keep Android open. They make money via market share, not hardware sales (like Apple). The CEO said that they bought Moto purely for the patents and are not looking to corner the Android hardware market. Such a move would reduce Android market share, and hence, advertising revenue. HTC and Samsung may feel differently about it, but Google has every incentive to "keep spreading the news" with Android.

Agreed, The only people this is really bad news for is Microsoft and Apple as it strengthens and helps protect Android. This should be good for HTC, Samsung, etc, because it is unlikely now that Motorola will sue other Android manufacturers for licensing fees based on its patent portfolio.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
What should I used? Can you Smell what the Rock is Cookin!!! Or You can See Me!!! Or Go Old School "Every bodies Got A Price!!!":rofl3: Sorry I love Wrestling!!!
I see what you mean now, i wasn't sure if you made a star trek joke with an auto correct typo or a wrestling quote with a first name typo. I didn't recognize the quote but i did follow that at one point in time. Its "Kurt Angle" lol, i personally do like the rock better than Kurt...so short. :D Well anyway i bet the FTC will have something to say about this, i hope its positive.

Anomander

Reaction score
"Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business"

Sorry folks, Blur isn't going away. Google bought them for the patents.
They did buy them for the patents, but I imagine they can still request a phone from Moto to be made to what Google wants. I don't think we will see bunch of Super phones, but I imagine we will get one now and then. It would be nice if we get just a barebones phone of Android.

spillner

Reaction score

I gotta disagree with this. Androids biggest advantage is that its available to a lot of different manufacturers. It would make little sense to limit yourself to just one company when you have already proven how successful you can be when you allow it to be used on so many different devices.