Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Markster1

Reaction score
I think the point was that of the 70 plus android handsets or whatever the number is, only a handful or top tier. I mean I consider my D1 top tier still but that's just me in denial, haha.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

I gotcha

Sent from my Incredible 2

Schoat333

Reaction score
I am definately no iPhone hater, but I wouldn't consider it top tier device anymore. The app store definately deserves that title, but the hardware and OS are lacking in options that Android, and other smart phones, have had for years now.

Having a shiny OS, and a solid app store, are not enough in todays market. People constantly want new options, and the most powerful hardware these days.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am definately no iPhone hater, but I wouldn't consider it top tier device anymore. The app store definately deserves that title, but the hardware and OS are lacking in options that Android, and other smart phones, have had for years now.

Having a shiny OS, and a solid app store, are not enough in todays market. People constantly want new options, and the most powerful hardware these days.

But then why does the iPhone outsell all the 4G phones combined on Verizon?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

No that's what tech heads want. The vast majority don't care about specs or even know what specs their phones have now.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Markster1

Reaction score
Just because the phone doesn't have the hardware specs that the Android phones have doesn't mean it isn't top tier. The big thing that Apple has going for it is that EVERY app that is released on the market is required to run flawlessly with EVERY current iPhone/iPod Touch on the market. The same simply cannot be said for any Android device.

For that reason alone, I would say the iPhone is a top tier device.

Sorry to burst your bubble but some apps don't work flawlessly when released in the Apple app store hence why there are constant revisions to them same as android. The problem is they can't get a fix out instantly because Apple has to approve every app even ones to fix a flaw. Google has them beat this way.

Sent from my Incredible 2

aayoo

Reaction score
Give their app store more credit than calling it solid, it's quite the strong selling point in all actuality. The hardware is no slouch either, the 1GHz A4 performs well(A5 dual core coming this year with iphone5), retina display is quite beautiful, the camera takes incredible photos and video, and gyroscope is precise. Big screens, been there with the DX, it's not a dealbreaker to use a smaller screen honestly. OS is a toss-up, android has it's perks but it also has its gimmicks, i wasn't a huge fan of android until i rooted. As with apple, of course its their way or the highway unless you jailbreak. I miss my emulators(btw jailbreak can get them, most of zodttd's emulators are iOS ports), but comparing street fighter 2 to street fighter 4 on ios or PSX Final Fantasy's vs. Squre-Enix Chaos Rings, Devil May Cry 4 etc...basically old vs. new. It's two totally different experiences, but to think the iphone isn't a top tier device just doesn't make sense.

jjhiza

Reaction score
How on earth did we shift from patents to Apple's device quality?! Lol. Apple makes top tier devices, if for no other reason than their anal retentive attention to design, and app store control. Since they only make one phone a year, obviously, Android has more quality handsets…the TBolt was the toast of the town 4 months ago, and now its been eclipsed by the X2, DInc2, D3, and the looming SGSII and the Bionic. Once the Bionic drops, people will start saying that the D3 isn't "top tier" any more, and so on…

To answer aayoo… I never said I didn't expect Apple to protect itself or its IP. What I said was that, if protection was their objective (and not attempting to torpedo Android's climbing market share) they've had YEARS to do it, so why wait until now? The answer is fear, plain and simple. Take into consideration that the German branch of Apple has (reportedly) fabricated material evidence in order to win their suit against Samsung, and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it leads me to believe that the Apple execs are losing a lot of sleep, and aren't concerned about the competetive environment at all. They're just greedy and fearful, because they know that, if Android continues to prosper, they face the same problem they had in the 90's, with MS. Moto holds over 17,000 patents, with almost 8,000 more in the pipeline, and now that Google has control over that portfolio, it will make Apple think twice about levying frivolous suits against small, Android based companies. Google is preparing to fight fire with fire.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

aayoo

Reaction score
Apple won the injunction against samsung and successfully blocked the sale of its Galaxy Tab. If it took this long for Samsung's legal team to realize that photos of the device "allegedly" were doctored, everyone on that counsel should be fired.

GBH2

Reaction score
Apple won the injunction against samsung and successfully blocked the sale of its Galaxy Tab. If it took this long for Samsung's legal team to realize that photos of the device "allegedly" were doctored, everyone on that counsel should be fired.

I believe the injunction was granted ex parte and I am not sure when Samsung's attorneys got to review the exhibits ... otherwise I would agree.

EFGantry

Reaction score
I think the point was that of the 70 plus android handsets or whatever the number is, only a handful or top tier. I mean I consider my D1 top tier still but that's just me in denial, haha.

no it isn't!! the OG is still top tier, and we may never see another device like it. it is, i tell ya, it is, it is, it is!! (no denial here....)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
no it isn't!! the OG is still top tier, and we may never see another device like it. it is, i tell ya, it is, it is, it is!! (no denial here....)

ha i'm with you guys, the OG is still top tier for me too

bplewis24

Reaction score
Apple wouldn't be taking legal action if they didn't have a basis for doing so.

That is an incredibly naive thing to say. They've already filed lawsuits in several high profile cases in which they have zero basis for doing so.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
Just because the phone doesn't have the hardware specs that the Android phones have doesn't mean it isn't top tier. The big thing that Apple has going for it is that EVERY app that is released on the market is required to run flawlessly with EVERY current iPhone/iPod Touch on the market. The same simply cannot be said for any Android device.

For that reason alone, I would say the iPhone is a top tier device.

1) Apple only makes 1 device per year, so it's top-tier by default.
2) Apple's device, when release, is usually spec'd out near the top of any smartphone wishlist in terms of hardware. The iPhone4 may be dated by now, but when it was released it was top-tier. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion in this thread.
3) It's completely hogwash that all apps in the Apple AppStore run flawlessly just as it's hogwash that everything Apple "just works." Apps on the AppStore crash and have bugs in them just like they do on the Android Market.

Brandon

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Apple only makes 1 device per year, so it's top-tier by default.
2) Apple's device, when release, is usually spec'd out near the top of any smartphone wishlist in terms of hardware. The iPhone4 may be dated by now, but when it was released it was top-tier. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion in this thread.
3) It's completely hogwash that all apps in the Apple AppStore run flawlessly just as it's hogwash that everything Apple "just works." Apps on the AppStore crash and have bugs in them just like they do on the Android Market.

Brandon

1) Which is why it doesn't make sense when people say it's not top-tier
2) It still performs as well, sometimes better, then current "top-tier" devices, so yes it is dated, but so is every other phone the minute they come out. I think top-tier has a lot more to do with shelf life and reliability then specs, because no one cares about specs except people on forums like this
3) I disagree here. While sure Apps on the Appstore can have flaws, there's not as many issues as there are on Android and that's pretty much a consensus across any tech site, save the android-centric ones. I've had android apps being updated 3 times a week before, and they were all bug fixes! Apple does "just work" even if people don't wanna believe that...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Which is why it doesn't make sense when people say it's not top-tier
2) It still performs as well, sometimes better, then current "top-tier" devices, so yes it is dated, but so is every other phone the minute they come out. I think top-tier has a lot more to do with shelf life and reliability then specs, because no one cares about specs except people on forums like this
3) I disagree here. While sure Apps on the Appstore can have flaws, there's not as many issues as there are on Android and that's pretty much a consensus across any tech site, save the android-centric ones. I've had android apps being updated 3 times a week before, and they were all bug fixes! Apple does "just work" even if people don't wanna believe that...

How can it "just work" then? lol I think the ppl that believe it "just works" dont wanna believe that it doesnt...