Google Soft Launches the LG Nexus 5; Full Specs & Now On Play Store for $350

Asgard

Reaction score
I snagged a 32GB black one, and the best part is that I'm not going to use it, since my contract ends on March I'm going to give it to my brother and then he can betatest it for me.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am under contract so I'll have to pay an Etf which stinks but I'll sell my s4 which will cover my cost.

Galaxy S4!!!

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but the last time Verizon and Google claimed to be working together on something, wasn't it just a lackluster phone when compared to what other carriers got.

I've been asking for it for years...Google, create a damn carrier service!

jamjr74

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but the last time Verizon and Google claimed to be working together on something, wasn't it just a lackluster phone when compared to what other carriers got.

I've been asking for it for years...Google, create a damn carrier service!

I would be all over a Google carrier service!!! I hate to leave Verizon because their service really is great, I just wish they ran their company a little different!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'll translate: A Nexus similar device that is hobbled, reverse engineered, buggy, and DOA for people who want a real Nexus but can't have one and want to be really disappointed for two more years.

They'll call it "Galaxy Nexus 2.0".
Totally agree. And remember, we already have a model for the Google-Verizon collaboration phone, which is the Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini project. I remember hearing all the advanced publicity on the X, and pretty much assumed, "OK, if Verizon is getting a custom-designed phone with the same innards as the X plus some extra special sauce, the Verizon phone will be the one to own." So yeah I was wrong. Of course, this has ended up being a frustrating year for me -- over and over, what the analysts predicted and what the Google leaked was consistently well ahead of what actually materialized. I must be pretty naive that I'm so disappointed that well-established companies would actually market vapor-ware. Or maybe a kinder way of saying it is: if you're working on a new feature, sell it like it's real, even if there's a slim chance you'll deliver it as promised.

Case in point: I think the most unique, promising feature of the X was "contextual awareness." But having owned and operated an X for about a month now...yeah...I can testify that it's a not-quite-as-promised feature. Not even a full notch above what any other phone already does. (Though I admit to loving the phone anyway!)

So the take-away message here is that whatever magical collaboration Google and Verizon have in mind, I would keep my expectations fairly low.

-Matt

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Nexus 5 supports:
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19

What CDMA version is Verizon?

squeak

Reaction score
Totally agree. And remember, we already have a model for the Google-Verizon collaboration phone, which is the Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini project. I remember hearing all the advanced publicity on the X, and pretty much assumed, "OK, if Verizon is getting a custom-designed phone with the same innards as the X plus some extra special sauce, the Verizon phone will be the one to own." So yeah I was wrong. Of course, this has ended up being a frustrating year for me -- over and over, what the analysts predicted and what the Google leaked was consistently well ahead of what actually materialized. I must be pretty naive that I'm so disappointed that well-established companies would actually market vapor-ware. Or maybe a kinder way of saying it is: if you're working on a new feature, sell it like it's real, even if there's a slim chance you'll deliver it as promised.

Case in point: I think the most unique, promising feature of the X was "contextual awareness." But having owned and operated an X for about a month now...yeah...I can testify that it's a not-quite-as-promised feature. Not even a full notch above what any other phone already does. (Though I admit to loving the phone anyway!)

So the take-away message here is that whatever magical collaboration Google and Verizon have in mind, I would keep my expectations fairly low.

-Matt

I see why you're called Gadgetrants..

TyrantII

Reaction score
My contract with VZW ended in Sept, and I'm jumping ship since there'z zero advantage with them living in a major metro area. They've systematically dropped all their perks that kept me with them, recapturing all the value they used to give customers. Their network isn't going to be enough.

Thinking of grabbing the 32GB and heading to MVNO land. Going to try out Solavei first... I think (T-Mobile network). Supposed to get LTE access granted out sometime next year, so I don't mind slightly slower 4G until then,

How easy is it to transfer and keep a number? Can anyone let me know the process? Anything I should be worried about with
Solavei?

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I see why you're called Gadgetrants..
And it's a self-inflicted wound, no less!

I won't bother telling you what my wife calls me...it's a lot less kinder. ;)

-Matt