Google Soft Launches the LG Nexus 5; Full Specs & Now On Play Store for $350

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus5.png

Without any fan-fare or even a fancy event, Google just announced the LG-made Nexus 5 by making it available on the Google Play Store. The new phone also includes Android 4.4 KitKat just as predicted. As we reported previously, the 16GB version of the phone is $349 and the 32GB version is $399 making this a phenomenal deal. Here's the full spec list:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM 8974, quad-core, 2.2GHz, Adreno 330 GPU
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB/32GB; base version has 12.55GB of free space out of the box
  • 4.96-inch Full HD display (1920x1080 display) - pixel density 445 ppi
  • 8MP camera (2,448 x 3,264) with OIC
  • 16GB Storage
  • 2300 mAh Battery
  • LTE
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
It's unusual for a company to soft-launch a new flagship device like this. Of course, this is Google and they typically do things differently. Plus we have had numerous rumors and leaks over the past several weeks, so perhaps they didn't feel it was worth the extra fluff. Sound off if you are planning to pull the trigger on this phone!

For reference sake, here are the network bands:
  • 2G/3G/4G LTE
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
  • WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
  • LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
Sadly, Sundar Pichai confirmed it would not be coming to Verizon. However, he did note that Google is specifically working with Verizon on some future projects. Here is the quote,

"...working with [Verizon] on a set of projects for 2014."

For more discussions on the new Nexus 5 head over to our sister-site here: Nexus 5 Forum

Here's a link to the Google Play Store to grab one: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly, from what I've been seeing it will be for purchase from T-Mo and Sprint but not AT&T but you can buy direct from Google and take to AT&T if you choose... Sad day for me - really wanted to hang on to my unlimited, buy from google and keep on keepin on.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Excited to hear they are working on projects with VZW for 2014!

Unfortunately it doesn't appear Google devices will have an SD card. That's a deal-breaker for me. Although if a phone blew me away (unlikely) I could get by with 32gigs internal storage so long as I have my unlimited data.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Well by Verizon its been a good 8 years!!!! Tired of the delayed updates and love the Nexus phones. Ordered my black 32gb today....

tommyz

Reaction score
If only Google would come out with their own Cell network... It would be Goodbye to Verizon! Though, it still maybe goodbye to Verizon if I don't see 4.4 devices.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Sadly, Sundar Pichai confirmed it would not be coming to Verizon. However, he did note that Google is specifically working with Verizon on some future projects.

I'll translate: A Nexus similar device that is hobbled, reverse engineered, buggy, and DOA for people who want a real Nexus but can't have one and want to be really disappointed for two more years.

They'll call it "Galaxy Nexus 2.0".

squeak

Reaction score
I've said it before, I'm betting Verizon will have a period of exclusivity on the launch device for Android 5.0 in the USofA. They have had exclusive deals for the stateside launch devices for 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I've said it before, I'm betting Verizon will have a period of exclusivity on the launch device for Android 5.0 in the USofA. They have had exclusive deals for the stateside launch devices for 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0.

5.0 hmmm, that would be Quince Tart I think. : )

What a shame. I would have bought a Nexus 5 if it was on Verizon.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Ugh...@#$%! I wanted this on Verizon so bad. I love my Rezound...but I was really wanting this phone.
F'ing Verizon.
When my contract is up in a few months, I'm shopping around. I just hate to give up my unlimited data...and if they forcibly take that away when my contract is up...well, see ya Verizon.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Glad I pulled the trigger on my Note 3 and didn't wait on the hopes this thing would come to Verizon.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I've been off contract for over 2 years now. Hmm... might just jump on Sprint or T-Mo. My girl has had Sprint for over 10 years and has no complaints.