Google Smartwatch is Coming and Gmail and Google Maps Getting Updates

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-Smartwatch-3D-render-concept.jpg

Our friends over at AndroidAuthority have a pretty cool exclusive today. Apparently there are still a few cool surprises coming at Google I/O 2013 in a couple of days. First, they confirmed from very reputable sources that Google Watch is definitely a go, and will likely launch at Google I/O this year. In fact, the watch is already supposedly designed, built and in mass production now. It is designed to function much like Google Glass, including voice commands. For now it is still not a self-contained device and will need to be tethered to your smartphone, but Google is working on a version which will function on its own. Their source also made it clear the Google Watch is being built by Motorola.

Second, Google plans to introduce some big updates to a couple of their most popular services: Google Maps and Gmail. Google Maps will be getting an updated interface including a full screen display. The new Gmail will also be going full screen and include some new gesture based functions. Here are a couple of quotes with details about these updates,

In reference to the new Google Maps,
Rather than the bottom and top bar, Maps for mobile is said to have a floating search bar towards the top of the screen, with the navigation button to the right of it. The Android menu button (three dots, vertically aligned) will rest at the bottom right of the screen, and house all other functions associated with search.

Regarding the new Gmail,
One source tells us “it’s really cool, with a swipe from the left bringing up the menu.” That menu will house things like inbox, sent, draft, and labels. The bar at the top will still be there to make navigating multiple accounts easier, and will have the menu button to the right. So, like Maps, the bottom bar will go away and the functions housed in it will reside elsewhere. “I think they’re getting away from bottom bars” one source told us.

When I asked how this would affect swiping to delete an email function, we were told it wouldn’t. Swiping the menu in “requires touch from kind of off the screen, and swipe to delete is more of grabbing the email and swiping it away”. This reasoning makes sense, and utilizes Project Butter nicely. Think of it like the tablet version of Gmail, with the menu hiding.

So, despite the earlier news suggesting Google I/O might not have some of the exciting launches we were hoping for, it looks like we might get some stuff that is still pretty exciting. It's easy to dismiss software innovations when we are distracted by some new gadget, but really, without Google (and our amazing community developers) pushing the envelope on software innovations, our shiny new hardware would be little more than a fancy brick.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I agree with ya thanks to Google because Verizon would be charging us for Maps and lots of other stuff.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just don't get all the stupid watch rumors. Sony already sells a watch at Verizon. Sony beat everyone to the punch.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Google-Smartwatch-3D-render-concept.jpg

Our friends over at AndroidAuthority have a pretty cool exclusive today. Apparently there are still a few cool surprises coming at Google I/O 2013 in a couple of days. First, they confirmed from very reputable sources that Google Watch is definitely a go, and will likely launch at Google I/O this year. In fact, the watch is already supposedly designed, built and in mass production now. It is designed to function much like Google Glass, including voice commands. For now it is still not a self-contained device and will need to be tethered to your smartphone, but Google is working on a version which will function on its own. Their source also made it clear the Google Watch is being built by Motorola.

Bring it on!! I have a cheap Bluetooth watch that only tells time and provides caller ID and vibration for the incoming phone calls while the phone's ringer is off (i.e. at work), but would love to have a fully interactive wrist apparatus for the phone. Even better, one that doesn't require the phone...but who's going to give up the large screen of a palm-top for a wrist phone since surfing the web would be atrocious.

te3e7a8e.jpg

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hello?
I thought people on this site knew about the latest products.

Sony done beat Apple and Google to the punch MONTHS ago. This is prominently displayed in the VZW stores.
SmartWatch | MN2SW | Sony USA

View attachment 62827

I've never been a huge fan of Sony but as I see everyone get all excited about a Google or Apple watch I just scratch my head and think... everyone is playing catch up already: to SONY?!?!?!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Anyone really think the iWatch or the gWatch is going to do more then:

"You can use the 1.3 inch screen to read emails, [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]text[/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]messages[/FONT][/FONT] and updates from Facebook and Twitter. It can also be used to control your phone's media player and as a remote for the camera on your handset. Not only will you have the time on your wrist, but you will also have the latest updated weather information. Just remember that you need to have your phone with youwhen using the Sony SmartWatch."

Sony SmartWatch now can be bought from Verizon

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello?
I thought people on this site knew about the latest products.

Sony done beat Apple and Google to the punch MONTHS ago. This is prominently displayed in the VZW stores.
SmartWatch | MN2SW | Sony USA

View attachment 62827

I've never been a huge fan of Sony but as I see everyone get all excited about a Google or Apple watch I just scratch my head and think... everyone is playing catch up already: to SONY?!?!?!

Yep. Companies have this tech out already, but as long as they keep pushing the envelope, they will eventually have Dick Tracy style cellphone watches with video conferencing (and maybe even hologram style projections). The primary difference with Google's device is more advanced control schemes, like voice control and a few more possibilities. If they don't keep advancing this tech, even by small incremental steps, then we would just be stuck with the Mickey Mouse watch shown above! :)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No... companIES do not have this yet.
5 months ago we heard
Rumor: Apple is working on a watch.
4 months ago:
Rumor: Samsung is working on a watch.
3 months ago: Sony RELEASES a watch. No one says a word.
and now:
Rumor: Google is making a watch.

Get with the program people: SONY BEAT YOU!
and NOT just by a little..... by a HUGE margin.
Sony will be releasing V2 before anyone else even offers V1.
Again, NOT a huge Sony fan but man... they smoked everyone here.
Not to mention the Sony tablet, imo, is currently the one to beat.

Not a huge fan but I hope they do well. They are raising the bar.