Google Shows Off Project Ara at Google I/O 2014 Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
project-ara.jpg

It looks like Google's crazy modular smartphone concept called Project Ara is still alive and proceeding forward. In fact, today at the Google I/O 2014 conference, Paul Eremenko, the technical lead for the program, fired up and booted the first prototype in front of thousands of attendees. Here's a quote with some of the details,

He showed off a functional, form-factor prototype. Which is a nerdy way of saying that for the first time publicly, we saw a modular Ara phone power on. It took its sweet time, but after several rounds of supportive applause from the audience, it booted. And froze. But over the course of the session, the team kept at it to get it past the boot screen (though to no avail). So not the most successful demonstration, but enough to show progress.

Eremenko also announced a challenge for developers. A $100,000 prize for a working module that lets a phone do something that a phone has never done before, along with a trip to Ara's next developer conference.

Eremenko also had a few things to add,

"We started by turning statements like 'it's impossible' into numbers."

He elaborated,

"Guys, this will be hard, but we're going to do it together."

According to the report, a developer preview will be available later this fall.

Source: The Verge

swc2001

Reaction score
OK So I am not completely fluent in "Nerd" Speak. What is this thing? How small is it?
How is going to help me take over the world?