Google Search Bar Question

howzball

Reaction score
On the Google search/microphone bar on my Droid when I hit the Mic and say "dial name" it will ordinarily call whoever but, on my gf's droid when she does the same it will almost always just do a Google search instead.

How can I get her droid to make calls instead of doing the Google search?

There's an app in the menu called "Voice Dialer" which she can use to dial with but on mine it voice dials with the desktop search bar.

myriad46

Reaction score
Go to Settings - Search - Searchable Items and make sure "Contacts" is checked on her phone.

OP
H

howzball

Reaction score
Just checked and her IS set to search Contacts as you suggest, same as mine.

I wonder what else it could be....?

myriad46

Reaction score
Facebook? Does she have any contacts in her Google Contacts list, or are all of her contacts synced from her Facebook friends? I have had a phone number that I know to be on my phone, that when I look for it online, I discover it is only on my phone through Facebook. The "Sync" feature doesn't actually write any information back to your contact list on www.gmail.com.

OP
H

howzball

Reaction score
She actually doesn't even use FB on her phone.
One thing I did notice was she also has sync turned off to her gmail account. Could that possibly be it?

When she first got her droid they (Verizon store) copied over all of her contacts from her old enV2 phone, then they set up the gmail account and it went about deleting all of her contacts for her and syncing up the gmail contacts. The Verizon guys then asked her if she had made a backup of her contacts thru the VZ website. Might have thought Before screwing with someone's contacts would be a better time to ask about backups but...

Needless to say she's very reluctant to allow gmail syncing after losing near 200 contacts.

Maybe she Has to allow the sync before the voice dial works....? Odd

th9203

Reaction score
There are a couple of things that you can do for backups howzball.
1 - go into contact on her (and your) Droid and open the Menu. Select Import/Export then Export to SD Card and Confirm the Export. This will make a local backup of your contacts.
2 - Log in to Google and go to Gmail. Above the section for editing the contacts is another option to Import or Export your contacts. Select the Export and select from the choices that are presented to you.

With your contacts stored in (now) 4 different locations you are far less likely to have a problem with losing your contacts in the future. :icon_ banana:

Now you can test different contact managers, sync settings or whatever else comes down the road in the future.