Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Google says Honeycomb will not come to smartphones

ico-time.png
Thu, 03 Feb 2011 3:26 pm

google-android-honeycomb-3-0-os-for-tablet-interface.jpg

Google has officially announced that Honeycomb will not be coming to Android based smartphones. Android 3.0 Honeycomb was specifically made for Tablets according to a Google spokesperson. Although, certain features that are present on Honeycomb will become available over time on Android smartphones. Google has not offered any information to what features will be ported over specifically.

So, for now the rumors that Honeycomb will be coming to Android phones has been smashed. Now we must have patience till Honeycomb features become available on Android smartphones.

Source: BGR, Image

tb110895

Reaction score
Well that sucks. I hope we get something really close to honeycomb because its really cool and looks a lot better than android now.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
They haven't even rolled out Gingerbread and are already talking about Honeycomb....they should announce that Gingerbread isn't going to hit Android phones either. I have been reading and hearing about GB for months and only dev's with ROMS have been able to get it out there.

Correct me if I am wrong but does ANYONE have official 2.3?

a44kaliburll

Reaction score
Well I think that its probably a good thing that it doesnt come to android headsets...While it looks nice and everything...the android fragmentation is frustrating on many levels...

In order to get what you want when its available you have to root apparently (like I have)...

Netflix is having a hard time coming to android because of androids "security issues". I have no idea if that has anything to do with its sloppy fragmentation or not but its a bit frustrating...I want netflix.

here is what the netflix blog has said http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
They haven't even rolled out Gingerbread and are already talking about Honeycomb....they should announce that Gingerbread isn't going to hit Android phones either. I have been reading and hearing about GB for months and only dev's with ROMS have been able to get it out there.

Nexus S ? The new Android phone from Google#

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...&id=1218262482328&ref=141&loc=01#BVRRWidgetID

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No you're not wrong but try having a little patience.

Froyo rolled out in August and September, some phones are just getting it now. You'll get your taste of Gingerbread just be patient. I'd rather wait and have it right then have it rushed with problems.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

No you're not wrong but try having a little patience.

Froyo rolled out in August and September, some phones are just getting it now. You'll get your taste of Gingerbread just be patient. I'd rather wait and have it right then have it rushed with problems.

Actually official Gingerbread is out on the Nexus S so that does kind of make him/her wrong.

http://www.google.com/nexus/# and then there is a link to buy it from Best Buy.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
From BGR:

UPDATE: It turns out there may have been a bit of confusion surrounding Kovacs’ comments at the Google event. Google reached out to clarify, supplying BGR with the following statement: “The version of Honeycomb we’ve shown is optimized for tablet form factors. All of the UI changes are the future of Android. Yesterday’s event focused on tablet form factors, which is where you’ll first see Honeycomb.”

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I think it's funny how manufacturers take longer to release updates to phones than the devs do with their custom roms and then when they finally do release them they're not even as good as the ones that the devs released.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
There was an blurb that said the DroidX would be getting GB goodness. Though I'll wait until a GB ROM is made with that update. And I'm not too worried about no Honeycomb on my DX. You don't see people running Windows Server 2010 on their home computers. Its specialized for a certain environment. If Honeycomb is made for tablets, then that is where it should go. Its not like we will be missing out on something awesome anyways. We will have our OS upgrades just like tablets will.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I actually think Honeycomb is pretty great. Much better than whats available for phones imho.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OP needs to update the post. This is untrue...Read the "Update" in the source link. Plus i believe Matias more than a reporters speculation because a google rep wouldn't elaborate more.... Why presume its the opposite because he didn't say more on the subject? If you want me to believe Hcomb isnt coming then at least provide evidence, Especially since we already have evidence that Hcomb will in fact be on phones.
Honeycomb is made for all devices, Their are things in honeycomb that are optimized for tablet though that arnt for phones, see the difference? This whole news story is 99% speculation.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Froyo roms came out in late May/early June? And Froyo didn't really start getting pushed until the beginning of August.

Seems like Gingerbread roms have been out for about a month, so that would suggest in another month or two the updates start getting pushed.

GB, to me, seems pretty underwhelming. Nothing remotely close to what Eclair and Froyo brought to the table.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i kinda figured this...i mean why else would they make a SPECIFIED OS for tablets instead of using one they already have

SolidSnakeUS

Reaction score
I think it's fine. Gingerbread was made for tablets and dual cores. I guess it's also along the same idea as 2.2 on tablets. 2.2 should just stay on smartphones and 3.0 should stay on tablets. That's fine if you ask me. Prevents conflicts and bad products.