Google Releasing DIY "App Inventor" - App Creation Tool

MontyMo

Reaction score
Yes, there will be more worthless apps in the market, but that will make this forum even more useful.

I applied and will develop an app or two for personal use.

Can't wait...

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
More Droids!!!

I think people will be making more choices towards the open Droid system and creativity as opposed to the Apple closed system. I hope the DIY has a degree of sophistication to be really useful.

MontyMo

Reaction score
I think people will be making more choices towards the open Droid system and creativity as opposed to the Apple closed system. I hope the DIY has a degree of sophistication to be really useful.

Well said!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What I think they will do is, just my guess, is that these apps wont be allowed in the market but when google launches their new web based market client, you may see a 'peer to peer' sharing/rating sub-section..again, just a hunch..

From what I read it lets you create apk files. With those in hand you can pay the market dev fee and publish to your heart's content.

Great, now more morons can fill our market with complete crap...

They say we'll hit 100,000 apps in the market by the end of July. I like to think I've already got all the good ones, but folks here and else where keep finding them for me.

60mins*24hrs*50days = 72,000 apps that you can review at the rate of 1/minute for 50 days.

There's no way most of us will do that. Instead we'll hear about a cool app like "Awesome Drop" (found it yesterday and that is a cool trick although email will get files to my phone too) and then go and try it. The gems will float to the top. They will get good reviews.

So...go ahead and add another 72,000 apps. I've currently got 30 rows in my app drawer with 4 apps in each row. That's 120 apps. If this tool means I even get 30 more apps that are just as useful then that's a win for me.

As a learning tool - if it gets some folks "almost" to where they want an app to be it might get them to learn java and make even better appse. That's a plus for the kids in school (and those of us out of school) as well as a plus for Android. This is a smart move for the community.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They say we'll hit 100,000 apps in the market by the end of July. I like to think I've already got all the good ones, but folks here and else where keep finding them for me.

Agreed. I don't get all the whining about apps in the market. I've found recommendations to be hugely valuable, and I've also had little trouble finding what I was looking for with search and paying attention to comments and ratings.

Can't wait to take a crack with this at creating a good 4x4 RSS widget!

techguru

Reaction score
What the market really needs is the ability to filter searches. If I could block sering apps from about five developers and a dozen key words when I view "just in" apps, I would skip 90% of the crap.

Alan

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Million dollars here i come

hey, someone has to be the one that came up with the idea for the
The Million Dollar Homepage - Own a piece of internet history! - for those not familiar with the story he made his million 5 years ago very quickly. Think of who would have laughed at you if you were him and said, "hey..."

On vacation one year we took this tour through a rich neighborhood and saw the house of the guy who invented the gray stuff on all scratch cards that gets scratched off. It was not a small house.

Supposedly the person who invented pumpkin themed leaf bags still makes a percentage off each bag created.

Sooo.....why not you?

psst...feel free to pm me your idea
icon_%20banana.gif

for the humor impaired:
disclaimer...do not pm me your idea.

ziou

Reaction score
What the market really needs is the ability to filter searches. If I could block sering apps from about five developers and a dozen key words when I view "just in" apps, I would skip 90% of the crap.

Alan

that's why google it's going to release its google market... or you can use appbrain web, I'm not sure if they have those options you're saying

him

Reaction score
Million dollars here i come

hey, someone has to be the one that came up with the idea for the
The Million Dollar Homepage - Own a piece of internet history! - for those not familiar with the story he made his million 5 years ago very quickly. Think of who would have laughed at you if you were him and said, "hey..."

On vacation one year we took this tour through a rich neighborhood and saw the house of the guy who invented the gray stuff on all scratch cards that gets scratched off. It was not a small house.

Supposedly the person who invented pumpkin themed leaf bags still makes a percentage off each bag created.

Sooo.....why not you?

psst...feel free to pm me your idea
icon_%20banana.gif

for the humor impaired:
disclaimer...do not pm me your idea.

Awesome page. I think the key is just getting something no one has ever seen before. I have a few ideas now i will be able to put them on the market. Just think today Droidforums.net tomorrow the tonight show...or even better Oprah.

I also think this will increase the amount of sexy [insert nationality] apps which are pretty much worthless. We'll see what happens when this comes out. I signed up also.

techguru

Reaction score

Alan

that's why google it's going to release its google market... or you can use appbrain web, I'm not sure if they have those options you're saying

appbrain doesn't have filtering, but it does have a few options that help weed out the junk. Hot today, hot this week, and what users are looking at now. Might miss some gems only looking there, but you find some great ones too.

Alan

scubasteve101

Reaction score
When the New York Times article says it will be released 'Monday' did they mean today or next Monday? Today is kinda running out...

nerdkill

Reaction score
i love how people are upset that there's going to be too many poorly made apps now. what's the difference if there's 10,000 or 1,000,000 poor apps. every market place is littered with horrible apps. it's up to the end user and community to decide what is good and what is bad. i think sometimes people assume you can just go through hundreds of thousands of apps on your iphone and they're all gems, they're not. the only way to find out about quality is by word of mouth, forums, or the most downloaded.

this program is not meant (in my opinion) to create tons of high quality apps. it's meant to immerse the user that much more into the android experience and to create personal apps that would have no use in the mass market. oh yeah and also to add about a hundred thousand apps to the market place over night to show apple how much momentum it has....haha. such a great idea... sure sucks to have a at@t android phone right now doesn't it.