Google Pushes Jelly Bean to Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX; Removes Most Motorola Bloatware

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RAZR_jellybean_announcement-300x300.jpg

I am sure many of you guys have seen this already, but it looks like the "soak test" for the Motorola Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX was the quickest ever. It didn't even last a whole day! Motorola is already pushing out the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update to these devices! That's not all of the good news either. Apparently, this new Jelly Bean for the two superphones does something else that will likely be greatly appreciated.

As DroidModderX reported last night, here.... besides the obvious goodness of Project Butter and Google Now, this new version of Jelly Bean for the RAZR & RAZR MAXX also removes most of the "Motoblur" bloatware!

The default web browser is now Chrome. They removed the Social Location app, MotoActv and Alarm and Timer. They also removed My Gallery, MotoPrint, My Music and the Verizon Video on Demand apps. Finally, the Gallery, Music and Alarm and Timer apps were replaced with stock Android versions.

If that isn't a cause for a happy dance, then you are probably too grumpy! dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid

Here's a quote with the full press statement from Google,

We’re happy to announce today that the Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade is rolling out to DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola owners in phases. Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean offers new features and apps that make your life simpler. With features like Google Now, Voice Search and expanded notifications, all of your key information is at your fingertips.

Google Now – We could all use a good planner to keep track of our busy lives. With Google Now you get notifications generated automatically and in real-time even before you ask. Now your DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX can deliver sports scores, stock updates, weather reports and traffic updates so you have all the information you want even before you’ve had your morning coffee.
Expanded Notifications – You should be able to call or text someone back right from your missed call notification. With Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean you have the ability to do that and more. When you get a reminder about a meeting you can either tap once to snooze or even email participants to say you’re running late.
Voice Search – Ask a question and get back the answer you’re looking for, ranging from “When is the next bus?” to “Where can I find a great Mexican restaurant?” You’ll either get a spoken response back or search results that answer your query.

Please visit our brand new Android upgrade page for information on our Global Android upgrade schedule. You can search by device, country and these pages will be updated when new information is available. You can learn more about Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean here. Also, keep in touch with us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ as we will notify users when the upgrade is available to be manually installed.

Source: Motorola & Twitter - Motorola

Last edited:

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
View attachment 61066
Maybe you guys should stop saying "Blur is almost all gone" and "Motocast" is removed. Also, Google doesn't push updates to these phones. Motorola and Verizon do.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys should stop saying "Blur is almost all gone" and "Motocast" is removed. Also, Google doesn't push updates to these phones. Motorola and Verizon do.

Cool... thanks for the tip. OP updated. Is there anything else we missed?

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Good, maybe I'll see it on my Bionic here soon.