Google Play Store To Replace the Android Market

WaltA

Reaction score
Not the way it works. Google creates the OS and apps, the manufacturers have to adjust.

Thankfully, that is the way Google works.

Google just released an update, ver 3.4.7, which fixes this problem. :icon_ lala:

parker95

Reaction score
Its basically the same thing just different name thats stupid

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm more distraught over the fact that now it will be increasingly harder to have Android taken seriously as a business platform. Telling my users to visit the "Google Play Store" to download an Exchange client sounds extremely unprofessional. In my opinion Google should have chosen a more neutral name. I'll be visiting their Facebook and Twitter and any other forum they monitor to voice that opinion.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm more distraught over the fact that now it will be increasingly harder to have Android taken seriously as a business platform. Telling my users to visit the "Google Play Store" to download an Exchange client sounds extremely unprofessional. In my opinion Google should have chosen a more neutral name.

Someone suggested "Google Market" and that would work for me.

On your earlier comment, I recently saw an ad for Blackberry with two members of a band saying they need a phone to schedule their performances and to email others. They then said that they have a Blackberry as they need a phone for business, not something to play with (dissing both Android and iPhone). Now, Google wants to call it "Play Store" just, well, proves their point.

GeekWife

Reaction score
What happened to "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"? And where might one find this update spoken of? That really bugs me that the nice shopping bag icon at the top of my menus doesn't function anymore. Grrr...

Sent from my DROID2 R2D2 using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
And where might one find this update spoken of? That really bugs me that the nice shopping bag icon at the top of my menus doesn't function anymore. Grrr...

Sent from my DROID2 R2D2 using DroidForums

I've been told that if you go Menu>Settings>Manage Apps and go to the Market, if you delete the updates the new update will appear in a couple of minutes. I'm going to wait, myself.

Interesting, I don't have the update and my link works. Did you get the update? My Market version (not going to call it 'Play Store') is 3.4.4.

UPDATE: I stand corrected. I looked in the app drawer and there it was. I checked and the icon in the upper right in the app drawer works. Still going to call it Market, though.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well so much for the sweet daily deals. That lasted all of like 4 days. At least I got one 25 cent album and a few 25 cent apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
My beef with Play has less to do with the lack of sweet deals than it does with the utility of the Market (or play or what ever the heck you want to call it.) app and the corresponding web site. The pro so far is that the app update notifications and installs are behaving better than before. Of course that happened with almost every other market update only to get more and more squirrely as time goes forward. So on the phone itself, it's fine.

Now for the web site.
Totally disappointed. The My Library sheet used to show what I actually had installed and a few apps that I had uninstalled but had on my phone for more than a day or so. If I pulled down an app, and dumped it quickly, it never showed up on the My Apps sheet. The fact that the darn sheet insists on keeping stuff in "My Library" that I had uninstalled (and better still indicates that it is STILL installed until you click on the "installed" button of the app's page to show you the popup with an active install button indicating that it ISNT installed) made it slightly less than useful.

What they added to the My Library sheet (now "My Android Apps") is "Explore more android apps" which I really don't think I need but that isn't the worst. The worst is that it now shows every g-d app I ever downloaded and isn't now installed and shows them all as being installed. This makes the My Android Apps sheet worse than useless. Now obviously the authoritative list of what's installed iswhat is on your phone itself to be sure. But if the market/play system (between the phone app and the web site) could keep this sheet in actual sync would make it a useful tool rather than a useless pile of rubbish.

You'd think that such a system which is owned at both ends by Google (or is it?), could easily keep a list of what's actually installed on your phone on the web site... i.e. keep these darn lists in sync! I have around 50 apps on my poor old D1... but over a hundred apps show up in the "My Android Apps" sheet. A small matter for now I know... but over a few more years, what happens when you have 10000 apps showing up in the website sheet and you've only got a hundred on your phone... and you change phones? If the sheet was kept in better shape, it would be far more useful when you changed phones because you could then PUSH those apps to your phone without hunting them up on the client side! Making the sheet *gasp!!!* USEFUL!!!!

StephenH

Reaction score
MPO: Give me back Android Market. It seems that trying to be all things just makes it bloated and slow. I have absolutely NO interest in purchasing music or videos for my phone. At least let me disable those two things which seem to add nothing except bloat. The worst is that it slows my phone down. I have taken to removing the "upgrade" but unfortunately, it keeps getting pushed back. I have been strongly considering rooting the phone so that I could just lock it and prevent it from "upgrading" (if that is possible).

52brandon

Reaction score
MPO: Give me back Android Market. It seems that trying to be all things just makes it bloated and slow. I have absolutely NO interest in purchasing music or videos for my phone. At least let me disable those two things which seem to add nothing except bloat. The worst is that it slows my phone down. I have taken to removing the "upgrade" but unfortunately, it keeps getting pushed back. I have been strongly considering rooting the phone so that I could just lock it and prevent it from "upgrading" (if that is possible).
slowed it down? That's strange. I've never noticed it being at all slower

kurosawa

Reaction score
No change to the TOS, but it was bad enough:

"2.4 From time to time, Google may discover a Product on Google Play that violates the Developer Distribution Agreement or other legal agreements, laws, regulations or policies. You agree that in such an instance Google retains the right to remotely remove those applications from your Device at its sole discretion."

So let's suppose I download an app off the web. Google has a beef with the developer, maybe they're trying to put them out of business or something. They can erase any app from my phone under the TOS, EVEN IF I DIDN'T DOWNLOAD IT THROUGH GOOGLE PLAY.

StephenH

Reaction score
slowed it down? That's strange. I've never noticed it being at all slower

But what Droid do you have? I have the first Droid which I got almost two years ago. I think that Google Play was meant for the newer models with faster processors and more RAM. Perhaps if it could be moved to the SD card, it would not be so bad, but there is no option to do so. So far, my phone is still showing Android Market, but I have not accepted the conditions to use it. If I do accept them and go to actually use it, it will try to upgrade to GP. If I select the opton to refuse the upgrade, it closes. In effect, Google has locked me out of using the functions of Android Market I have enjoyed and used for almost two years. I don't want the additional "features" of GP. I am not a fan of the direction Google is headed at this point. I have avoided Apple products because of the lock-in to the Apple ecosystem and I have a beef with Microsoft's monopolistic practices. Android has been a good alternative until now.

On my desktop, browsing Google Play is not so bad. However, that is on a quad-core system with lots of RAM. Now, if I came into enough funding to upgrade my Droid to a newer, dual-core model with more memory, I would probably not be so upset about this "upgrade." which to me should not lock me out of AM if I don't switch to the GP version. I don't see anything by Google offering to help upgrade those with older phones to ones more suitable for running GP.

Verro84

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an error (-101) while trying to download apps from the play store? I haven't been able to download anything for 2 days now any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Insidious

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an error (-101) while trying to download apps from the play store? I haven't been able to download anything for 2 days now any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I get 403 and 101 errors when downloading some apps :/.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums