Google Play Store Reviews Now Require Your Google Plus Account

bionic207

Reaction score
Well I guess I won't be giving reviews. Won't have a G+ account. I could just see all my contacts and info on my phone coming up in some random Google search linked to who knows what LOL Google almost as bad as Apple!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just curious how we feel, now that the change has been made?
I have not reviewed anything since this change was implemented.
I do have a G+ account, but I do NOT want my real name all over the Play store. Sorry, I just don't.
I have noticed new reviews are WAY down. Most reviews are from "Google User". Very few apps that I have noticed lately are reviewed.
I am actually leaning on Amazon more now for apps. If I want an app I will check Amazon first. Always.
Not the case before.

*Note: I am a huge Google fan. Not quite as huge anymore.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Just curious how we feel, now that the change has been made?
I have not reviewed anything since this change was implemented.
I do have a G+ account, but I do NOT want my real name all over the Play store. Sorry, I just don't.
I have noticed new reviews are WAY down. Most reviews are from "Google User". Very few apps that I have noticed lately are reviewed.
I am actually leaning on Amazon more now for apps. If I want an app I will check Amazon first. Always.
Not the case before.

*Note: I am a huge Google fan. Not quite as huge anymore.

Me neither... The switch was not good from my POV. Too bad this will lead to fewer good apps. This removes incentive to improve any app since there will be far fewer reviews. A 4+ app with ten reviews going to be quite as trustworthy as a 4 + app with thousands of them.

buldog

Reaction score
Agree with Aghenax.
No more reviews from me.
Is it REALLY to discourage Spam reviews, or is it REALLY being used to get people to sign up for Google+? I think we know.

Don't treat me like an idiot, Google. I can sift through reviews myself and can tell the stupid ones from the real ones.

Thank you, well put.

knighthonor

Reaction score
Agree with Aghenax.
No more reviews from me.
Is it REALLY to discourage Spam reviews, or is it REALLY being used to get people to sign up for Google+? I think we know.

Don't treat me like an idiot, Google. I can sift through reviews myself and can tell the stupid ones from the real ones.
Pretty much this.

Dont be fooled. this is similar move to what Blizzard Entertainment tried to do with its "Real ID" method of posting on the forum, which their excuse was the same of limiting trolling by holding them at a risk against their safety.

This just shows that these companies dont really care about their consumers. Because ask yourself this,,,

How would having your real name on reviews, STOP THE TROLLING? unless, there was a concern for having your name up there, like lets say, safety from stalkers and manics perhaps?

they trying to get more G+ support. Just like Blizzard was trying to use Real ID to make a social site for their video games...

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
No more reviews from me and no Google Plus either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Natey2

Reaction score
I'm still "A Google User" :)
e5y3ure9.jpg

(The above is just for illustrative purposes only, and not an actual review of mine)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1. Google needs to fix their code for 4.2 before they tell us what to do!!!!!!
2. Get google voice running like a proper app should...
3. Make some more nexus 4's lol...
4. Stop trying to be a social network, trust me, theres enough of those!
5. AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE, GO BACK TO INNOVATING INSTEAD OF RENOVATING... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
As a developer I don't like this change for a few reasons and I like it for a couple reasons.

First, I don't think people should be forced into Google+ and I don't think people should be forced to leave their name on a comment. It just keeps people from reviewing apps and leaving "true" feedback. This will also really reduce the number of comments.

That said, anonymous comments saying, "App doesn't work,"or that it "sucks" does nothing to help me as a developer fix the problem. I can't respond or reply to the comments and I can't get more information about the issue so I know what the actual problem is. In 90% of cases the problem is either user error or a really simple fix. So now I'm stuck with a useless bad review that is likely not even a legitimate problem but can prevent people from downloading my app.

If someone has a problem with our apps I always issue a refund even if it's user error or a simple fix simply because they took the time to email us about the issue.

Although I haven't done it, I could look up the order for purchased apps and refund their purchase if I have their name.

Anyways, as a user I'm not going to leave feedback that uses my real name.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks PereDroid... I just added my 2 cents.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums