Solved Google Play Music Backgrounding On Its Own

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
A few days ago Google Music started launching itself in the background without me actually launching the app.

The odd thing is that when it shows itself as being backgrounded you can't click on it to launch it from the task manager tab like you can regular apps that you leave backgrounding intentionally.

When it launches itself in the background it does not actually pop up over whatever I am doing at the time.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: This is a result of a new update in the Google Music app. Not sure if it is intentional or not, but it may be rectified by a future update.

Last edited:
OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I figured this out. Google Music has a service called Albumartfinder (or something along those lines) and that service was stuck searching for album art for a song in my "Downloaded Only" section.

I removed the song from my library and the app stopped launching on its own. I then re-downloaded it and it hasn't been an issue.

Feel free to delete this thread!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup, though I used it to listen to music this morning, I've had it running in the background without me ever launching it (& after a reboot of the phone, to be clear).

I've also gone into active apps and ended it and had it return later. It's not using much as far as resources here, so I'm not too worried about it.

I also have the Samsung Music app running. Not sure why.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I figured this out. Google Music has a service called Albumartfinder (or something along those lines) and that service was stuck searching for album art for a song in my "Downloaded Only" section.

I removed the song from my library and the app stopped launching on its own. I then re-downloaded it and it hasn't been an issue.

Feel free to delete this thread!
Oh s***! That's good to know, since I'm on a limited data plan now. How'd you find out which album it was having issues with?

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It was only 20ish or so Mb of ram, but I'm glad it has stopped.

joacomsegovia

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
It seems like the same is happening to me... I don't even use the app (I use the stock music player instead). Why can this be?
d15ba647a32c0061c1567ae2cee0d8c4.jpg

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Exit the task manager. Launch your settings app. Select Applications. Slide over inside of it to "Running". Select Google Music.

It will tell you which processes are being used from Google Music.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Exit the task manager. Launch your settings app. Select Applications. Slide over inside of it to "Running". Select Google Music.

It will tell you which processes are being used from Google Music.
Bugger. You're right about the "ArtDownloadService" running, but I went through my list of downloaded albums and the only one with no art is one that for music I recorded myself that doesn't have art...

Guess I've got even more digging to do.

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Try moving it off of the phone, select "not interested" (Press the 3 dots next to that song while looking at your music library), and then kill Google Music.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Try moving it off of the phone, select "not interested" (Press the 3 dots next to that song while looking at your music library), and then kill Google Music.
Instead of "Not Interested," I used "Remove Download." (Couldn't bring myself to say I wasn't interested in my own original tracks).

Other than that, I went with your plan, so we'll see if that was the problem.

(Thanks, by the way for your thorough instructions on how to remove albums, given to someone who jumped on the All Access bandwagon as soon as it was available.):p

OP
Ollie

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah I have 12gb of music downloaded. I went with All Access as soon as it launched simply because it is not tied down to geolocation. I use it all over the globe. That, and the launch price has still to be beaten.

You're welcome. Hope it works for you.