Google Officially Unveils Android 5.0 L

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-L-unveiled.png

Just as our rumors predicted, Google officially unveiled Android 5.0 L today!

Over 1 Billion Android activations.
Android tablets account for 62% of the world market.
App installs on Android tablets up by 236%.

"Material design" - focused on creating a material feel to the OS - Elevation value with virtual light sources and real-time shadows to offer depth - adaptable to different sized screens - includes rich animated touch feedback - seamless animations from screen to screen - The Roboto font has also been updated to better suit the new devices like smartwatches and others - *also coming to Chrome OS and the web

Android L Features:
  • Instant interactive actions right in the lock screen - it now includes a full list of notifications and they are actionable — they can be swiped to dismiss them or tapped to directly open their relevant apps
  • Heads up notification - notifications pop-ups in games and other apps
  • Smart unlock feature - to Android L. Devices are aware of the locations and devices around them - a phone’s lock screen might be bypassed when your smartwatch is connected
  • Moves away from the Dalvik virtual machine (VM) and replaces it with ART - this dramatically improved application, UI and display performance - Art is fully compatible with 64-bit architecture.
  • Includes a number of optimizations which improve battery life - this includes a special new battery saver mode that will extend usage time by 90 minutes when remaining charge is low
  • “Project Volta” is an internal initiative that analyzes battery usage internally and will dramatically improved battery life for Android devices.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
I don't think I'd like pop ups within games.....

I see that being a disaster