Google "News and Weather" Widget Exclusive to 2.1?

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure my life would end as i know it if i had animated gif support AND flash support on the DROID, lol.

i know one thing; waiting anywhere will no longer be just "waiting."

dpw2atox

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in the UI changes and various improvements coming in Android 2.1. From the way things look on the screenshots and the various reviews, 2.1 seems to be coming along nicely and probably will be released officially in the next few weeks.

Still I am looking forward to an official release of 2.1 on the Droid. 2.0.1 has fixed a lot of issues, now its time for some new features!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm quite interested in the UI changes and various improvements coming in Android 2.1. From the way things look on the screenshots and the various reviews, 2.1 seems to be coming along nicely and probably will be released officially in the next few weeks.

Still I am looking forward to an official release of 2.1 on the Droid. 2.0.1 has fixed a lot of issues, now its time for some new features!

someone gets the idea! issues/fixes were the reasoning for 2.0.1

2.1 will surely incorporate more fixes but most certainly with have new features!

romeov

Reaction score
Waitaminute.

Android 2.1 has been ported to droid and leaked. and no no one here is actually running it??

I know I know it's a hell of a tricky hack and birckalicious, but come on, out of all of us hardcore Droiders, no one has tried the port?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
i'm pretty sure my life would end as i know it if i had animated gif support AND flash support on the DROID, lol.

i know one thing; waiting anywhere will no longer be just "waiting."

640K,

Here you go, live video of "animated wallpaper" and a screen cap of some of the animated wallpaper options :)

[video=youtube;wEbW-fxzHtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbW-fxzHtc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

live-wallpapers.png

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Is there any place to get news and/or weather displayed that is not decided by a 3rd party, or a company with it's on agenda???

We're not going all paroniod this morning are we??? :)

The only way to avoid this in the current world is to watch the news out of your own window...but then again is that even real..and are you sure your window is not really a projection screen of some sort???? :icon_eek:

Where did I put my tin foil hat......

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yeah there are plenty of news widgits that come directly from the sources, CNN/AP, etc and weather widgits such as Weather Channel, Weatherbug, Weatherunderground (if its available yet).

It has nothing to do with paranoid but why allow one company to dictate all your information to you whose specialty isn't even in the aspects we described.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Your Kidding right???

CNN decides what to information to broadcast from AP and other sources, AND they get their marching orders from Disney?? (or whoever owns them now)..

Weather Channel is the most ad ridden service ever created and they decide which information they get from National Weather service and other places...

See what I mean, there is really NO "direct source" available period, it all comes from somewhere else and each broadcaster "decides" whay part of the information is used ... or not.

In other words if you want to get only the information direclty from the source you are beaing your head against the wall..... BUT I got all of this info from somewhere else so what do I know :)

LordKastle

Reaction score
Ignore the AP then? CNN is a news specialty organization. They are an actual source, Google is not. They have worked hand in hand with reporters and other news organizations for decades and have actual reporters [regardless of validity]. Google is a 3rd party gathering source. (Your argument against CNN can be made against any news source, and I agree. It's just its the worse of the two evils when compared to Google. I know you aren't trying to take the argument in that direction though because it will go completely off-topic. In that case no news-media driven organization is reliable, and I agree.)

Weather.com/Weatherbug and others are the actual sources. They own the radars, they have the technology...not Google.

Google is a gathering source.

I have never believed in using a widgit anyway to look for my news just in general. I always believe that going to the actual sources is far more effective than simply being relayed what is included in the app or widgit's cycle.

[It's simialr to when people complain about Sportstap or other widgit/apps. These are 3rd party sources when relaying score information. So of course there will be a lag or delay in getting the information.]

{edit: I'll admit, even when I am killing time, I find myself skimming the news sections of Yahoo/Google due to the massive girth of articles. So I agree, out of convenience it is a great idea for Google to make one. I would just rather go to the actual websites when I want my entertainment of news rather than having a widgit - just my opinion of course.

*I like my home screens as empty as possible with my symbolic background/wallpaper. So that is why I have my BIAS. :) }

Last edited:

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
i attempted to install the geniewidget apk I snagged off some forums...it lets you try to install it, then fails... booo! someone needs to mod that apk so we can install it on our droids!

JayMonster

Reaction score
For reasons stated in this thread, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s-agenda-androids-failure-we-just-slaves.html ,

I will definitely be refraining from this type of widgit. I'd prefer to use something more legitimate for news and weather rather than having a 3rd party decide what and how my news and weather should be displayed. I suggest you do the same.

Yeah, I can see how a service that aggregates news from trusted sources and serves up the ones that may be pertinent to you based on ZIP Code or GPS location could be a bad thing and help Google take over the world.

I'm sorry... you are stretching your argument from the other thread a bit thin here. :r_c:

LordKastle

Reaction score
When did I ever say that in the thread? Show me one mention of GPS or zip code. I am glad you put words in my mouth though. They can have all the information in the world about you and in modern context they can't do squat with it. That is not the concern but you make it seem like thats what I am trying to say.

It's about being dependent on one source...not what info they have about you.

I admit when I want my entertainment of news articles I find myself at Yahoo or Google more frequently than somewhere like CNN or elsewhere due to the massive collection of articles. I just don't feel like depending on Google for everything in my life. I like variety. So if I want a weather report, I'll go to the actual website where they are getting the info from and if I want news, I'll go to the actual sites they are getting the information from (even if it is their own website.)

The more we talk about this the more I begin to respect the workings of Apple or Microsoft, where they don't shove first-party apps down your throat dealing with every aspect of life. Yeah Android has open development, but the likelihood of you using an application not from Google will be unlikely unless you go out of your way to do so...is basically what the OS is turning in to.

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
I am not putting words in your mouth. You stated, you did not trust it... because it is Google. I am trying to point out that this is a widget that gives you stories, from the same "trusted" sources you like, but simply filtered by location (now whether that location is GPS based or by you entering a ZIP code... I am not so sure).

I understand your point, and I though it was a valid discussion on the original thread you created... and you certainly have a right (as does anybody) to get your sources from wherever you want, that is why there is a marketplace, but is the "Google controls too much" going to come into every conversation about a Google OS?