Google "News and Weather" Widget Exclusive to 2.1?

DurangoJim

Reaction score
On the shots of the Droid ported with 2.1 there's a nice news and weather widget by google. I can't seem to find it on the marketplace. Is that exclusive to 2.1?

JayMonster

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if that is "baked" into 2.1 and part of the "Google experience" as they look to improve the "base" so it is considered equal to editions with Sense or Motoblur... thus they build it in rather than release it to the market where it is available to everyone.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Appears to be a new native app for 2.1.

Also both of the weather screen shots show the Weather Channel icon which hopefully means you can select your favorite weather provider instead of being stuck with just one. I really like the graph version of the forecast, nice!!

617d1260905136-google-news-weather-widget-exclusive-2-1-android-2_1-weatherinfo-engadget.jpg

616d1260905025-google-news-weather-widget-exclusive-2-1-android-2_1-newsandweather-engadget.jpg

Last edited:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
bump, i'd love to have them as well. love the dark gray look to everything!

I agree, I really hope they keep the new theme and it makes it to 2.1. The new native Power, Music and YouTube Widgets from 2.0.1 update seems to have been a preview of the new look for all the 2.1 native apps/widgets.. I SURE HOPE SO, me likey!!

I also like what appears to be the new "Clock/Multimedia" Screen. Much improved over the current one, also appears to be able to work portrait and landscape.

618d1260905555-google-news-weather-widget-exclusive-2-1-android-2_1-clock-engadget.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
here's looking forward to the 2.1 update. only a matter of time now.

gatorbait

Reaction score
Can anyone link me to where you are finding the pictures of these 2.1 screens?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

I agree, if they keep this new theme look, add these new app/widgets from the preview, AND add Music player controls and notifications to the lockscreen.... AND fix BT handsfree.. I will be 100% happy and could care less about any more updates... at least for now :)

Yeah, a guy can dream, right!!

LordKastle

Reaction score
No...not like that. I am saying don't worry. We will get our Wheaties.

If Android truly wants to compete with the iPhone app store, from this point forward...everything released up to 2011 and the beginning of 4G will have to be compatible for most Android devices. That and the fact that Droid has the largest customer base (and profit potential) of any modern Android devices is a guarantee we will get what we want.

If they splice the community of devices up in to fragments...developers will abandon ship. Google has no other choice.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree, if they keep this new theme look, add these new app/widgets from the preview, AND add Music player controls and notifications to the lockscreen.... AND fix BT handsfree.. I will be 100% happy and could care less about any more updates... at least for now :)

Yeah, a guy can dream, right!!
if the online images are true, i think the interface looks 100x better than what we already have... although, i'm not crazy about the 3D cube design.

Silver Member
Reaction score
anyone else see this?

android-21---screens---engadget.jpg

looks like a desktop switcher? its obviously on top of something, so maybe it's a new task switcher?

i also like the soft key / dialpad / soft key there. no more "phone" icon on the desktop ftw!!!!!