Google "News and Weather" Widget Exclusive to 2.1?

LordKastle

Reaction score
I trust Google's widgit and news-source as much as any other media-driven agency. Their collection service is as reliable as CNN or any other media-driven organization...with much more variety for the most part. Like I said when I am killing time there is not a better single source for an entertainment of articles dealing with whatever you can think of for news than Google and Yahoo.

It just comes down to dependancy. Its not bad, its not dangerous...it's just my opinion and don't feel like relying on one organization for all data. I'd rather give credence to other organizations and companies involved in their specialties, not one that tries to aim at convenience.

Google isn't taking over the world and they never will. *just for the record*

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol @ calling google (a search engine) a gathering medium and not mediums like CNN. What do you think CNN is/does?? If tv reporters are reporting on stories, they're reporting from an external source. That's a gathering medium. All news is driven from external sources. Google is as accurate as those mediums that provide the information. In order to go to the source, as you put it, you'd have to do the interview yourself. All news and media is twisted in some way, whether its interpretation, language barrier or malcontent.

Your argument is invalid and off topic.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Apparently you didn't read my posts properly. I said they are all a gathering medium...the difference being CNN is an actual news organization that has roots in the field for decades while Google is not a true source for anything except a melting pot for news, just like Yahoo. Maybe go back and read? I already said I prefer going to Yahoo/Google for simply the massive girth of news they provide. But what about the weather argument...seems to be overlooked.

True difference being..CNN is a company that is a news organization and prides itself on exactly that. They may not always be the sole source but you can bet they are covering various stories on their own. Google does not.

Your argument to me seems to me like an analogy that calls Walmart an electronics store. (Its not.)

Is anyone else not surprised that Google is releasing this type of Widget? Without question it will be the most downloaded one in relation to what it does and while the Android OS is an open-development platform, it seems like more and more Google is trying to force your hands to use their applications. Thats fine though..whatever is most convenient is the best in this society.

[When people keep putting words in my mouth, I have no choice but to respond. I suppose I should use more self-control and let them quote statements that I never did.
"Google controls too much." Really? No saying that people are becoming too dependent on one source is not the same thing, sorry.)

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
We should keep this thread on track. Start a new thread if you want to argue about the validity of Google news & weather vs CNN and Fox...

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I am sure we will have the option to cube or not, IF any of this becomes reality :)
the cube apears to be the new application listing. so instead of paging through pages of icons, you flip the cube.

i'm not a fan. I dealt with that cube BS with HTC and WinMo. I hate it. Nothing beats scrolling.

OK, I see what you mean now, although it could "waterfall" the apps towards you one row at a time (that would be cool) as you scroll through them, instead of "cubing"???

Quote from this article Android 2.1 Screenshots Available - The platform seems like a great update over Android 2.0 - Softpedia

"The app drawer itself has also undergone an extensive redesign. As you scroll through your apps, they will roll out from the bottom of the screen and curve around the top,” the news site notes.

:)

LordKastle

Reaction score
Good point. People stop trying to smear my words.

Yes Google News and Weather will be exclusive to the 2.1 OS (2.1 will come to "the Droid") and beyond.

End of thread.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Droid is Google branded thus it will get the 2.1 OS

hugs17

Reaction score
I got the 2.1 ota, but no no new home screen with weather widget. How do I get it?