Google Navigation

BigTex71

Reaction score
I love the Google Navigation on the Droid. It is replacing the Garmin GPS in my car. But there is one thing I wish the Google Nav had that the Garmin does... speed limit displayed on the screen. I really miss that from the Garmin.

Minus that, the Droid's Google Nav is MUCH better than my old Garmin GPS.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you should suggest that to them, i know that they are this huge company that seems to never do what anyone wants... but hell, i'm always under the understanding that if you don't ask for something you'll never see it, and assuming others will ask is bad, lol.

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
Verizon's GPS is much better, as i was playing with the GPS app, i use directions from my house to a highway.

example...

The way i go is to leave my house and go 2 blocks to MAIN AVE, MAKE A left, AND CONTINUE a 1/2 mile to the highway.

For some reason the GPS told me when i left my house to go one block make a left, go another block and make a right... to MAIN AVE.

The point here is i didn't have to make a left, it was a unnecessary left turn where i should have just went straight on my street to main ave. There has been and street changes in one ways or anything either.

I seen a demonstration video about the droid GPS, and it did mention this type of problem, the demonstrator said, and showed the GPS taking him all the way around in a circle to get to his destination, where he could of just went straight.

Any thoughts

lumns

Reaction score
does anyone know how to set the settings for the navi.

such as shortest route or fastest route etc....

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon's GPS is much better, as i was playing with the GPS app, i use directions from my house to a highway.

example...

The way i go is to leave my house and go 2 blocks to MAIN AVE, MAKE A left, AND CONTINUE a 1/2 mile to the highway.

For some reason the GPS told me when i left my house to go one block make a left, go another block and make a right... to MAIN AVE.

The point here is i didn't have to make a left, it was a unnecessary left turn where i should have just went straight on my street to main ave. There has been and street changes in one ways or anything either.

I seen a demonstration video about the droid GPS, and it did mention this type of problem, the demonstrator said, and showed the GPS taking him all the way around in a circle to get to his destination, where he could of just went straight.

Any thoughts

There navi app has been out for all of like a week tops. Verizon's has been out for about 1 1/2 years+ . I'm quite sure they are in the works of updates and everything else.

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
verizon is using google maps for GPS, i thought i remember the video saying something that its beta or something, not sure.

lumns

Reaction score
i do love when it gives you what your location is supposed to look like.

many a times, my nav has said " you've arrived at your destination and its on the right. then to look up and cant find the freaking place

ryanm

Reaction score
Google needs to work on walking/ped directions. You have to refresh the directions every block you turn. And same problems-going weird routes, not down one-ways when clearly that doesn't effect peds.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
How is the screen brightness and contrast on the Droid?

I plan on using it not only in the car but also on my motorcycle so brightness is an issue in the sun.

Ron W.

rroof

Reaction score
How is the screen brightness and contrast on the Droid?

I plan on using it not only in the car but also on my motorcycle so brightness is an issue in the sun.

Ron W.

It is OK - not great (shiny screen vs. a matt ones on most Garmin GPS). You need to turn off the auto brightness and screen timeout as well. I just tested this on my bike (bicycle) the last 2 days (42 and 62 miles). I use a program called cardio trainer and it does show my speed then (but the map is just a google maps overlay, not the very nice google Nav screen that auto zooms for turns, etc.)

rjsurfer

Reaction score
rroof,

Read your response about Cardio Trainer on another thread, looks like a great application, definitely will be on my short list when I get the phone the end of Dec.

I'm partial to indoor training on the bike, I have the Computrainer and with the Real Course Video app I can load up the Lake Placid Ironman video and do the race real time....I mean I have done the Lake Placid bike loop 35 times now and the video is pretty close to doing the race.

BUT sitting in my basement for 6 hours on a trainer is a brain killer.

Ron W.

rlb

Reaction score
I'm loving the nav. Don't forget it's free, and its still in Beta. Any GPS is going to give you whacky routing at times. Considering this is googles first go at nav (vs garmin or tomtom or even VZnavigator who have years experience) I'm pretty damn impressed!

Went to Philly last night to see a show (live in Central NJ). Used Google navigation to get us to Tony Luke's (cheese steaks!!!) then to west Philly to the venue. Pulled up layers & switched on parking when we got nearby and had navigation take us to the lot of my choice. When we left, navigated to home and then pulled up layers again. Searched for convenience stores near our route home to grab a cup of coffee.

My biggest gripe is that the voice prompt announces entire interstate signs as you approach your exit. At a major interchange this can get cumbersome. Having the ability to drag & adjust your route (like you can on google maps) would be awesome too. Considerinf that its still in beta the free Google navigation is pretty damn good.

rroof

Reaction score
rroof,

Read your response about Cardio Trainer on another thread, looks like a great application, definitely will be on my short list when I get the phone the end of Dec.

I'm partial to indoor training on the bike, I have the Computrainer and with the Real Course Video app I can load up the Lake Placid Ironman video and do the race real time....I mean I have done the Lake Placid bike loop 35 times now and the video is pretty close to doing the race.

BUT sitting in my basement for 6 hours on a trainer is a brain killer.

Ron W.

6 hours on a trainer? No way man ... 2 hours tops for me! Just use it for intensity/intervals. Lake Placid is a great course - I love flying down the hill into Keene ;) Did a measly 10:47 there a few years back after an injury, but I love that course. You should definitely check out that Cardio Trainer app - I was pleasantly surprised!

Beamen

Reaction score
Any way to set the Google Nav to always up? I've taken a cursory look, but I couldn't find anything.