Google Navigation: I Lost the Directional "Top of Screen" Direction

REMilk

Reaction score
I searched the forums and could not identify that this problem has been answered.

I have a Droid 3 (over 3 months) and an OG Droid (for 2 years). I have used Google Navigation all over the country and previously never encountered this problem.

Through yesterday, November 22, 2011, whenever I had established a route, the Google Navigation display generally showed me moving towards the top of the screen. (some very curvy roads approximated this) This makes it easy to match displayed turn directions with the real turns.

This morning I have a northern hemisphere map view where the top of the screen always points North. How do I change this back?

So far I have tried the following:
1. Clear Google Map and Navigation cache
2. Turn off/turn on
3. Power off/power on
4. Battery Pull
5. Uninstall all Google Map/Navigation updates, then reinstall the updates.

I appreciate any assistance with this problem.

Bob

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
Well, today things are back to nomal. When I used Google Navigation today, the direction I was traveling was again towards the top of the screen.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I don't know if you were aware of this, but you can simply tap on the compass to change between the map showing the top as constant north and the top of the map being your current direction.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
I don't know if you were aware of this, but you can simply tap on the compass to change between the map showing the top as constant north and the top of the map being your current direction.

Thanks! I did not know that. I followed your 'tap the compass' and this works exactly as you say!

Bob

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad I could help.

ashez0611

Reaction score

Thanks!! I had this same problem on my Droid Razr since I've upgraded from the Droid 2. I thought it was the new phone. Guess I just hit that little compass at some point! It has been so frustrating using the GPS for the last month with the arrow pointing all different directions and trying to follow it... lol. So glad to be back to normal. Quickest fix I've ever had, lol.

mshaka

Reaction score
I am still having this problem with the Droid Razr. There is no compass for me to tap on to correct this... Any help?

patmont

Reaction score
intuitive user interface ...

"Thanks! I did not know that. I followed your 'tap the compass' and this works exactly as you say!
"Bob"

That's a problem with intuitive user interfaces (and google does generally a good job on these). It would be really useful if changing the compass heading were explicitly available under Navigation Options, as well as by clicking the compass. (Please?)