Google Music Driving Me Berserk

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I was satisfied with the old music player, but, since this was on the phone I figured I'd use it. It has driven me crazy ever since.

Here's the scenario: I have a phone mount in my car, which is a 2004 model, no direct input. I use a cassette adapter to get the sound from my phone to the car speakers. So I get in my car after work, put the phone on the mount, the power plug in the phone, and the speaker jack in the phone. Then I call up MyPOD and listen to downloaded podcasts on the way home.

Sometimes the podcast ends before I get home. About 30 seconds to a minute after it ends, Google Music automatically starts playing music. Sometimes I don't want to listen and have to go into it and pause it. Three or four minutes later it starts up AGAIN. This, depending on how close I am to home, may happen three or four more times!

How do I get this stupid thing to quit doing this? It is so aggravating and distracting to have to switch from Waze while I'm driving into Google Music to shut it off. And WHY is playing automatically? I can't find any setting in the app that says "play when headphone jack is plugged in" to de-assign.

Plus at Christmastime I was remarking to a friend that I was tempted by a smartwatch, but didn't know if I would use it much and didn't want to spend bucks on one finding out. He passed on to me a cheap smartwatch he'd bought for the same reason. Saturday I was wearing it and all of a sudden Google Music started up and was playing through the watch!!!

Anyone know what's going on and how to stop it?

Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know what causes this, but here is a similar situation for me. I use Play Music every day on my Turbo 2 without issues or errors. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as my work phone, and it connects to my Bluetooth headset while driving, or a Moto Roadster. I recently updated the Play Music app on it because our IT guys like us to always have up-to-date apps. As soon as I updated to the most recent version, as soon as the phone connected to Bluetooth Play Music started playing a random album from the little music I put on the phone. I had to manually stop the app. Then...as soon as the Bluetooth connection ended the same thing happened and the same album started playing through the phone speaker. That happened 3 times, so I uninstalled the update to the Play Music app, rebooted the phone and it stopped. A few days later I installed the app update again and the same thing started happening with the exact same song. I uninstalled the Play Music app update again, rebooted again, and it has not happened since. You could try going into Settings > Apps > scroll down & find Google Play Music > tap to open App Info > select Uninstall Updates. When finished reboot your phone and see if your issue stops. Hopefully the weird issue stops; but if not please report back and the awesome folks here will always have good ideas. :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My 98 had a cassette with a 6 disc changer in the trunk. ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Cassette deck?!? Pffft! I'm still rocking one of these bad boys. Pere, can you find a bluetooth adapter for this guy?
8-track-tape-player.jpeg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I doubt it!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I guess it makes sense, I'm sure a lot of cars on the road today have cassette decks; CD players became standard around 96 - 98....I think

My 98 had a cassette with a 6 disc changer in the trunk. ;)

Yeah, my 01 BMW had a cassette with a 6 disc cd changer in the trunk. IIRC that was the last year they used a cassette deck in their head unit. Nowadays CDs have become a thing of the past in new models.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Don't think they've quite given up on CDs yet. I was in a 2016 Chevy Sonic today. Had a CD player.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
American models have always been at least 3 years behind imports. But seriously, it's about 50/50 right now with 2016 vehicles, mostly higher end vehicles right now. Come 2017 it'll be closer to 80/20.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Sometimes the podcast ends before I get home. About 30 seconds to a minute after it ends, Google Music automatically starts playing music. Sometimes I don't want to listen and have to go into it and pause it. Three or four minutes later it starts up AGAIN. This, depending on how close I am to home, may happen three or four more times!

How do I get this stupid thing to quit doing this? It is so aggravating and distracting to have to switch from Waze while I'm driving into Google Music to shut it off. And WHY is playing automatically? I can't find any setting in the app that says "play when headphone jack is plugged in" to de-assign.

Anyone know what's going on and how to stop it?

Thanks.

What songs does Google Music start to auto-play after the podcast is over?

Are they songs you previously listened to? If so, pull down your phone's window shade and swipe them away. You might also clear out your recently played list of songs from Google Music.

If this fails there is an app called Bluetooth Connect and Play which I believe has a setting to stop this behavior.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo using Tapatalk.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
YESSS! A fellow audiophile who appreciates classic technology.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To the OP, does the Turbo have accessory options somewhere in the main settings? I know the Samsung devices do, but I can't recall if that's just a Sammy thing.

Maybe the Moto connect app or whatever it's called? If you've got settings like that, I'd double check that there's not an option selected to "do this (play music) when this (headphones plugged in) happens".

I'm fairly certain that the Play Music app itself doesn't have any such options, but I could be wrong.

I used Play Music all the time with a BT adapter (my 2000 Sierra only has an aux jack because I replaced the factory radio with one my wife literally had laying around) and never have an issue with music starting on its own. Not that it's the same kind of scenario exactly, but just fyi, I guess. If anything, the BT adapter doesn't always convince the phone to start playing music if I haven't done so fairly recently, or at least not opened a bunch of apps to push Play Music to the background. Then I'm telling my watch to play some music or yelling at my phone in my pocket to do the same. Sorry for all of this exposition.

***The first couple paragraphs are the important part of this post. ;)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very true Jonny! @ LassieGal, did you ever try to uninstall updates to the Play Music app? If so did that help?