Google/Motorola Patents Now Being Used Against Apple By HTC

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
gohtc.jpg

Google previously said they had plans to help their partners go through all these lawsuits, and now we have a good idea of what those plans are. A few days ago, Google apparently signed over some of their patents to HTC. These new patents, that were not HTC's to start with, are now the backbone to a new counter suit that HTC is filling against Apple. This move is Google doing what they can to help out a friend in need, and I'm sure we will see more things like this going on in the patent warfare.

Google: "quietly helpful"?

Via: Engadget

Last edited by a moderator:

DamirD1984

Reaction score
-directed at apple-

Instead of trying to stay ahead of your competition by suing the living hell out of em... You ought to beat your competition by innovating, instead of milking your headstart in the unique smarphone market at that time, which I am thankful for, since You were the catalyst for the ANDROID phones, which broke us away from the iPhone monotony you force upon your users.

I was getting sick, of having the same looking phone like the guy next to me, yes pretty to look at, but once you seen an iPhone, you've seen all the iPhones.
Every time I hear someone at work got an Android phone, I get excited, because there is a good chance, me and that person don't have the same phones, be it size, specs, UI,...

Hope Google and HTC stick it to ya, and go back to the drawing board... and bring us something out, that might give me second thoughts of switching over to android phones, 2 years ago.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
-directed at apple-

Instead of trying to stay ahead of your competition by suing the living hell out of em... You ought to beat your competition by innovating, instead of milking your headstart in the unique smarphone market at that time, which I am thankful for, since You were the catalyst for the ANDROID phones, which broke us away from the iPhone monotony you force upon your users.

Umm last time I checked I didn't see any Apple employees running around like crazed mad men with guns forcing people to buy the iPhone.........just sayin

I am glad HTC is doing this. They have every right to defend themselves just like Apple does. People are being extremely naive if they think HTC is somehow the better company and their just playing innocent victim and underdog here. Yes HTC is defending themselves but they are doing the EXACT same thing as Apple. I feel it is a lost cause even mentioning this because everyone just foams from the mouth with anger and hatred at the mere mention of Apple and lawsuits (being a bit sarcastic). In the end big tech business rely on some innovation and a ton of paperwork for the lawyers to sort through.

It is funny though, when Apple sues for patent infringement, it's just ludicrous to think an Android manufacturer would do such a dastardly deed but when Apple gets sued for the same thing, they are clearly guilty......

DamirD1984

Reaction score
Umm last time I checked I didn't see any Apple employees running around like crazed mad men with guns forcing people to buy the iPhone.........just sayin

I am glad HTC is doing this. They have every right to defend themselves just like Apple does. People are being extremely naive if they think HTC is somehow the better company and their just playing innocent victim and underdog here. Yes HTC is defending themselves but they are doing the EXACT same thing as Apple. I feel it is a lost cause even mentioning this because everyone just foams from the mouth with anger and hatred at the mere mention of Apple and lawsuits (being a bit sarcastic). In the end big tech business rely on some innovation and a ton of paperwork for the lawyers to sort through.

It is funny though, when Apple sues for patent infringement, it's just ludicrous to think an Android manufacturer would do such a dastardly deed but when Apple gets sued for the same thing, they are clearly guilty......

Force is strong word.... lack of variety?

Apple went all out, nearly suing just for the idea for a tablet device nearly, over just the similar shape, would be like sony suing toshiba over same size TVs.... never hated Apple, even recommend it to some people as an option.

Apple just needs to be put in check, and not sue for just nearly anything that they can think and make up... just like the made up the pictures, scaled Samsungs Tablet down, so that it can look like and IPad Did Apple tamper with evidence in the German Apple v. Samsung case? | Android Central

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't help but say I'm confused by the reaction to this. Before Google acquired these patents, they were complaining about being ganged up on by Apple, Microsoft and the rest of the world. Now they've given their patents to someone else to use...and everyone is cool with it..haha...

Like OTR said, everyone is up in arms when Apple does it, but everyone is defending Android OEMs when they do it. Like I (and OTR) have said from the beginning if these companies are granted/acquiring these patents they have every right to defend them...the disparity in who you think is right is a little baffling since all sides are doing the exact same thing.

The problem is with the game and not the players...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help but say I'm confused by the reaction to this. Before Google acquired these patents, they were complaining about being ganged up on by Apple, Microsoft and the rest of the world. Now they've given their patents to someone else to use...and everyone is cool with it..haha...

Like OTR said, everyone is up in arms when Apple does it, but everyone is defending Android OEMs when they do it. Like I (and OTR) have said from the beginning if these companies are granted/acquiring these patents they have every right to defend them...the disparity in who you think is right is a little baffling since all sides are doing the exact same thing.

Isn't it obvious, "our" side is always right, "their" side is always wrong no what anyone does... haha

But in all seriousness, it is actually a very simple example of cognitive dissonance resolution: It is the way that people rationalize in their own mind they are backing the correct company and a strong justification that they aren't using the competitor. Everyone wants, even needs, to feel that they made the right decision at a subconscious level and this mechanism ensures that we feel that, even if we don't realize that it is happening in the first place.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dang it "no edit button", you've bested me once more:

"no **matter** what anyone does"

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't it obvious, "our" side is always right, "their" side is always wrong no what anyone does... haha

But in all seriousness, it is actually a very simple example of cognitive dissonance resolution: It is the way that people rationalize in their own mind they are backing the correct company and a strong justification that they aren't using the competitor. Everyone wants, even needs, to feel that they made the right decision at a subconscious level and this mechanism ensures that we feel that, even if we don't realize that it is happening in the first place.

haha yes i've used the cognitive dissonance argument in another thread here, and its very true in this case...

nikecar

Reaction score
I wonder why Toyota hasn't sued everyone for similar car shapes to the Prius. Ignore the fact the Prius and the Honda Insight's design is generally one of the more aerodynamic and less drag design for a hybrid.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
I wonder why Toyota hasn't sued everyone for similar car shapes to the Prius. Ignore the fact the Prius and the Honda Insight's design is generally one of the more aerodynamic and less drag design for a hybrid.
They have not figured out who to sue yet. Give em time. Toyota... well Lexus Sued a local Diner near me because they had the same name. Made them change it.

Apple/Samsung/HTC Gimme a break already.... The ONLY thing I think Apple is any good at is product release. 1-2 a year is all that is needed. Case in point; look at all of us here. We all have the attention span of a gnat with all of the new phones coming out. I want this one... no wait that one.... well; maybe this one instead. Apple really needs to have a coke and a smile and possibly come up with their own stuff for a change.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Google never complained?

If apple was suing for something legit, ok..buy they're suing for the way the screen bounces when flicking through images, tablet sizes, and that devices look too similar.

It's like android suing everyone over screens that are larger than 3.5 inches. Like audi suing car makers for using led lights. Etc...some things although patented, you shouldn't sue cause it makes no sense to. Google has stolen nothing that serves functionally and put it in android. Apple will

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue is none of us have any clue how patents and licensing work. I say none of us because I truly am not trying to offend anyone in particular. But some companies don't sue because other companies approach them first and ask to use the patents which are then in turn licensed for a very nice fee and both sides win.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
The biggest issue is none of us have any clue how patents and licensing work. I say none of us because I truly am not trying to offend anyone in particular. But some companies don't sue because other companies approach them first and ask to use the patents which are then in turn licensed for a very nice fee and both sides win.

Yep! The company I work for, does this all the time. We design a process or widget or what ever and the patent it. Other Companies see it and say: "ooooh I like that! Can I use it!?" My Company says: Sure can! Let's sit down and draw up some contracts. They are both happy and my company makes boat loads of money for doing nothing more than filling out a few papers. Patents are tricky for sure I actually have 3 and I'm working on a 4th atm. I get paid for them and get a nice plaque but, my company owns them under "intellectual property" papers that we all sign when we get hired.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google never complained?

If apple was suing for something legit, ok..buy they're suing for the way the screen bounces when flicking through images, tablet sizes, and that devices look too similar.

It's like android suing everyone over screens that are larger than 3.5 inches. Like audi suing car makers for using led lights. Etc...some things although patented, you shouldn't sue cause it makes no sense to. Google has stolen nothing that serves functionally and put it in android. Apple will

I dont know if you're asking me or telling me but Google definitely complained about being ganged up on:

Google Says Apple, Microsoft, Oracle Wage ‘Hostile Campaign’ - BusinessweekUPDATE: Google Complains Of Organized Campaign Against Android - WSJ.comGoogle lawyer slams Apple, Microsoft over patents | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, FeaturesGoogle was a bidder for those exact patents that they complained about and lost to MSFT, and Apple.

Now on the flip side, they've obtained some patents and are allowing HTC to use them to sue Apple haha...

Secondly, Apple is suing for something legit. They were granted the patent so they have a right to sue. If the patent was given incorrectly that'll be bought out in court and the patent will be ruled invalid. But they're not just suing for the sake of suing, they're suing because they were granted these patents on things they developed or acquired patents. Neither side is wrong, and both sides are doing what any company would do.