OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty postive they will renew them.

Sent from my Charge using DroidForums

Yea I don't see why they wouldn't. That would be like throwing away billions of dollars and someone else picking them up.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

droid_mike

Reaction score
I'm pretty postive they will renew them.

Sent from my Charge using DroidForums

Patents cannot be renewed. They are not copyrights or trademarks. Once a patent expires, the invention becomes part of the public domain. The purpose of patents is to grant the inventor a monopoly for a period of time in return for making the details of their invention public to help facilitate further innovation--that's the theory, anyways. In reality, patents hinder innovation, especially frivolous patents like most software patents.

Rindaen

Reaction score
You seem to mussunderstand.google is not going to fight apple, they ate going to protect themselves from apple cause apple loves lawsuits. They can't win in tech so what's the other way to get rid of tour competition?

Kill the company not the product. Google knows this and they knew android was a target so they bought motor to protect themselves from apple.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Protecting themselves Im ok with, Thats What Apple is doing...

Sarreq,
"Apple doesnt Know how to fight with better tech and software"

Which Android manufacturer is selling more phones than Apple?
HTC, Motorola, Samsung ...

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Because competition is not good for anyone... /sigh
Just so i know , Its ok for Google to Buy up patents and go after people, But Apple cant go after people that Copy them?

I have always used Motorola phones up until the iPhone was released.
Was always happy with there products. Not so certain I would buy another if Google is taking over.

That was SOOO not my point. The point was if Apple wants to push lawsuits based on generic drawings of a tablet, something that is so plain it could almost be confused with a flatscreen tv, then Google, HP, and anyone else that holds patents that have the remote chance of being too close to something Apple uses, should go for blood.
It's not about competition, but about Apple bullying the competition out of business. My stance is and always has been, that Apple has become the very monster they complain Microsoft was just 15 years ago.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Umm... how about from the article itself? The patents were applied for in 1994. Patents last 20 years. They will expire in 2014.

Correction. The patent law was changed in 1995 to conform with WTO patent laws:
"For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying."
So they could expire earlier than that, or already be expired. But then, I'm sure Google knows the life span of the patents and aren't about to try to head into court using expired patents. Not sure if it is possible, but if they can show the violation occurred during the lifespan of the patent, can they then sue based on that?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you own patents, as simple and stupid as some tech patents are, you have every right under the sun to protect them. Apple obviously has a case in these lawsuits or the courts wouldn't even hear them. You can think all you want that Google is somehow above Apple when they file the same type of lawsuits with their new patents from Moto Mobility but you are being extremely hypocritical.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
When you own patents, as simple and stupid as some tech patents are, you have every right under the sun to protect them. Apple obviously has a case in these lawsuits or the courts wouldn't even hear them. You can think all you want that Google is somehow above Apple when they file the same type of lawsuits with their new patents from Moto Mobility but you are being extremely hypocritical.

Nobody has said Google is above Apple, or that Apple doesn't hold the right to sue someone based on a legitimate patent. But come on, the majority of the cases revolve around generic designs, not particular technology inside. A rectangle with glass screen? An icon on the screen or a grid layout for icons? Really? Are those really new concepts?

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nobody has said Google is above Apple, or that Apple doesn't hold the right to sue someone based on a legitimate patent. But come on, the majority of the cases revolve around generic designs, not particular technology inside. A rectangle with glass screen? An icon on the screen or a grid layout for icons? Really? Is those really a new concept?

No they aren't but if someone was stupid enough to give Apple the patents for such silly things, how is Apple the bad guy for protecting them? I fully expect, and rightfully so, Google to do the same to Apple if they truly think Apple infringed on their new patents.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Apples to oranges (no pun intended). Which OS is more widely used? More Android phones are sold than iPhones. There is no direct comparison.

Manufacturer to manufacturer appeard to be a fair comparison.

Android has sold more than all iOS Devices?
Source Please.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody has said Google is above Apple, or that Apple doesn't hold the right to sue someone based on a legitimate patent. But come on, the majority of the cases revolve around generic designs, not particular technology inside. A rectangle with glass screen? An icon on the screen or a grid layout for icons? Really? Is those really a new concept?

I agree that these aren't things that should be taken to court, but it's the system's fault for giving them patent, as OTR already stated. But with that being said, I'd like to see a circle shaped tablet. It may be the first iteration of the Tron disk we all start wearing attached to our backs.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sure by now people think I am an apple fanboy and that's fine but I am not defending Apple so much as I am saying people need to see the true problem and that is the tech patent system is so beyond broken, it's just a giant joke. With that being said if they award me with a patent for something dumb, its still entirely in my best financial interest to file a lawsuit, plain and simple.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Manufacturer to manufacturer appeared to be a fair comparison.

Android has sold more than all iOS Devices?
Source Please.

Not when market share is divided by multiple devices vs 1 single device. The sales figures for the Motorola Droid compared to the iPhone for their initial release periods is a fair comparison. All iPhone models versus all Android model phones is a fair comparison. However, since Apple only releases sales figures for it's latest model, you will never be able to compare these accurately.

My sources were CNN financial, TechRepublic and Mashable. I ruled out what I thought were any blatant Android/Apple sources to keep it fair. Or would you rather have a link, to an iPhone/iPod development company?
http://www.zanura.com/blog/reviews/android-sales-vs-iphone-sales-in-2011/
Those other 3 sites used the same figures.

Now, with the release of the iPhone 5 later this year, these figures will probably fluctuate a bit. Or maybe not. My personal opinion is that a small percentage of users may switch back and forth, but the majority of each OS user base will stay with the one they have. It's the new users that will make the difference in figures.

Last edited: