Google Maps speaking another language? Or gibberish?

ChoiceStriker

Reaction score
Hi guys, Google Maps' turn-by-turn navigation has gone completely wonky on me. It's either begun speaking another language (French?) or is just babbling nonsense. Please view the YouTube video below to see what it's doing. It doesn't have anything to do with the name of the Italian restaurant in the video; it does it no matter where you try to navigate to.

[video=youtube;TS-lhDLXEAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-lhDLXEAU"]YouTube - WTF... Google Maps on Droid speaking foreign language? Or gibberish?[/video]

I can't figure out what's going on and I haven't changed any settings that would lead to such a change. I can't find any language options in the Google Maps settings, so I am completely stumped. Is my phone fubar? If it IS another language, how can I change it back?! Has anyone else ever seen this? I couldn't find any reference to this anywhere. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sounds gibberish...nice find. Well kind of...

sarreq

Reaction score
sounds like french gibberish to me

have you tried to reset your TTS config in the system settings?

OP
C

ChoiceStriker

Reaction score
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SARREQ. Changing my text-to-speech preferences fixed it. I have NO idea how it got changed in the first place, but the fact that it sounded just barely like French made me think maybe it was an actual setting and not a problem with the phone. Problem solved. I wish they would put a spoken language preference within the google maps application rather than making it a global setting, so it would be a little more obvious, but anyway, thanks so much.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish they would put a spoken language preference within the google maps application rather than making it a global setting, so it would be a little more obvious, but anyway, thanks so much.
From what I can tell it isn't a Google Maps feature. I have other apps that can make use the TTS as well.