Google Maps for Android is getting updated – download it here before it’s released

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Update Wednesday has come and gone, but most of what we've seen can be described as bug fixes and relatively minor adjustments – not that we aren't happy with improvements of any kind. Google just set loose Maps 9.6, and like most of the other apps, the changes are mostly about fine-tuning. This version slightly improves the visibility of Zagat reviews and adds an option to determine if the voice should play over speakers or Bluetooth during turn-by-navigation.

MD5: d9b85e54eb2d8195fc29325120550388

Here is the link to the article .
Maps 9.6 Update Gives Users More Control Over Voice Output And Dresses Up Zagat Reviews APK Download

Last edited by a moderator:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Downloaded.
Installed.
Functioning!

Google butchered Maps in 4.0 so anything else is kind of meh.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can wait until it hits the store, although I really don't want the google voice coming over my stereo when I'm playing music via BT, so this will be nice. Another thought - my N4 is stock and not rooted. I was thinking, can I even install an .apk with a stock phone? I was always on a rooted android device since 2009 so I never thought much about it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I can wait until it hits the store, although I really don't want the google voice coming over my stereo when I'm playing music via BT, so this will be nice. Another thought - my N4 is stock and not rooted. I was thinking, can I even install an .apk with a stock phone? I was always on a rooted android device since 2009 so I never thought much about it.
Hey Scott, I don't believe Maps is a system app so you should be able to install it without Root.

Note 4Tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it acts the same as Play Store pre releases it'll just overwrite the existing once you give it permission.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Correct. I had to uninstall back to the stock version of Maps. Then I installed this version over the stock version. Simple as pie.