Google Maps App Already Tops Apple App Store One Day After Launch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-maps-for-ios.jpg

We understand If you didn't catch this news yesterday, but we thought it worth sharing considering what a fiasco Apple's Map App has been. Google finally launched a Google Maps App for iOS yesterday. What's really interesting (although probably unsurprising) is that within less than a day it is already the top downloaded app in the free section of the Apple App Store.

What? You mean iPhone users want to use a map app that won't get them lost in a snake-infested desert? Go figure...

In related news... Google may have no problem sharing the goodies of several Google apps (like Google Maps) with Apple's iOS products, but that is not the case with Windows Phone and Windows 8. Apparently, Google doesn't think there are enough users of these products to justify it. Here's a quote with a few more details,
[Clay Bavor, product management director at Google (GOOG) Apps] said Google has ”no plans to build out Windows apps” and that the company is “very careful about where we invest and will go where the users are but they are not on Windows Phone or Windows 8.” As we begin to see a shift toward users storing their data in the cloud, the lack of Google Drive on the newest Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is an alarming concern. It’s true there are alternatives such as Microsoft’s SkyDrive, but no native Gmail app for either OSes suggests Windows is no longer a priority to develop for anymore. Instead, Bavor says that the company will continue to “make big investments in mobile in 2013 with the goal of having beautiful mobile apps” on iOS and Android. ~ BGR

Ouch! Does this mean Google thinks that Microsoft is becoming obsolete? It looks that way. What do you think?

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Sadly, it looks like Windows 8 will just be another Windows ME or Vista. Maybe Microsoft's next batch of software will be incredible- they seem to have a history of coming out with a good OS every other time xD

jspradling7

Reaction score
Windows needs to throw some insanely high dollars at the brightest people at Apple and Google and get them to jump ship and make Windows mobile a real contender. Otherwise they can sit on their PC market share and wait for Unbutu to overtake them there too. Bill has the money to put Windows into the mobile game in a major way if he has interest at all in doing it. But when your the richest guy on the planet maybe you just don't give a crap. Is Bill even involved with Micky-soft anymore?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
kinda sad to see... I'd love to see windows 8 do a mac style of updates where you don't have to buy a whole new OS every few years but instead update it slowly, ala mac osx 10.x etc. that would be nice.

I wouldn't mind trying a windows 8 phone just to try it out, but losing my gmail and google maps... that makes it extremely unlikely.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm running Win8 on my Desktop and yes, it is a bit different, but its not bad. I haven't really utilized the new start menu like they want people to, but at the same time, its not horrible. I set it up how I wanted it and it works. If my computer needs to be reformatted though, I'll probably go back to Win7. I miss the Aero interface. The new looking UI is just too basic. Very sharp cornered and crayola color feeling. But hey, its no Vista, believe me! They just tried to combine the tablet/phone interface with desktops and that was a bad idea.

BigZig

Reaction score
i thought it was very courteous of google not to charge IOS users for the App. If it were me i would have charged them .99 cents and made a killing off the Iphone users.

Reaction score
All Google needs is to make a true desktop/laptop (not a netbook) and windows would be thrown out the window.

Sent from my nexus 7 tablet while I'm away from my real computer

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All Google needs is to make a true desktop/laptop (not a netbook) and windows would be thrown out the window.

Sent from my nexus 7 tablet while I'm away from my real computer

That's what Linux is for

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no idea about those systems.

Sent on my Moto RAZR HD while I'm in class, in a meeting, in a waiting room, or in the bathroom

Ubuntu is one of the most popular... Linux is the platform android is built off of.. So it's similar....but does vary...

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about those systems.

Sent on my Moto RAZR HD while I'm in class, in a meeting, in a waiting room, or in the bathroom

/facepalm

Linux is an operating system with multiple distributions (distros) which all have various functions, some free some not Ubuntu or mint are both good places to begin and can be used on your current system through a live CD install which won't actually install them on your system hard drive. It really can change an underpowered windows laptop into a much smoother more enjoyable piece of hardware.

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Unfortunately, silicon valley has a written truce of not poaching each other's talent or stealing employees from one another. Otherwise, they'd be afraid of trading secrets.

Windows needs to throw some insanely high dollars at the brightest people at Apple and Google and get them to jump ship and make Windows mobile a real contender. Otherwise they can sit on their PC market share and wait for Unbutu to overtake them there too. Bill has the money to put Windows into the mobile game in a major way if he has interest at all in doing it. But when your the richest guy on the planet maybe you just don't give a crap. Is Bill even involved with Micky-soft anymore?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums
need help with your battery?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/26383-my-vzw-gnex-settings-for-battery-life-thread/

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-maps-for-ios.jpg

We understand If you didn't catch this news yesterday, but we thought it worth sharing considering what a fiasco Apple's Map App has been. Google finally launched a Google Maps App for iOS yesterday. What's really interesting (although probably unsurprising) is that within less than a day it is already the top downloaded app in the free section of the Apple App Store.

What? You mean iPhone users want to use a map app that won't get them lost in a snake-infested desert? Go figure...

In related news... Google may have no problem sharing the goodies of several Google apps (like Google Maps) with Apple's iOS products, but that is not the case with Windows Phone and Windows 8. Apparently, Google doesn't think there are enough users of these products to justify it. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Ouch! Does this mean Google thinks that Microsoft is becoming obsolete? It looks that way. What do you think?

That slight shaking of the ground was not an earthquake. It was Jobs rolling over in his grave.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

diablo81588

Reaction score

Lol Linux will never have more market share than windows. Microsoft should be worried more about macs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2