Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm still having the same issues. However, veforeI tried the online fixes I tried to do it the same way as the old Adamz Smoked Glass issue. I went to deletes the Maps.apk and uninstall from applications. No workey there and then I tried the terminal routes too.
I wanted to put in a though (and question) do you think the addps to sd installations has anything to do with it? I found some Maps.apk stuff on my sd card too

Wasn't there an update.zip fix a few pages back?

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...asy-fix-froyo-google-maps-update-problem.html

Last edited:

vedwed

Reaction score
Running Chaos Froyo rom, and everytime i get to the busybox command, i get the error permission denied. Any suggestions?

kristoff125

Reaction score
Running Chaos Froyo rom, and everytime i get to the busybox command, i get the error permission denied. Any suggestions?

Try the process without the busybox line...maybe you don't have busybox installed?

droijo

Reaction score
Did this from D-L and works great!

Do not type in success. The previous line will return "success."

Did not need to reboot, went into Market, downloaded and installed successfully the first time. I am running just the froyo from with launcherpro.

Last edited:

vedwed

Reaction score
i get a failure. tried the download map-fix from p3 site, but that did not let me download from market, but apps runs and says version is 4.3.0. So I am lost lol

Last edited:

DROIDpfft

Reaction score
Ok so im frustrated now. I can't seem to get anything to work. I tried typing the commands in terminal emulator. No luck. Only got errors. So I used root explorer to delete the files manually. Then rebooted Nd tried to install maps. No luck again. I also tried p3s update.zip map fix.. still nothing.. I have ultimate droid extreme 1.2.5..

just fixed it. i restored /system from a backup and ran this code

su
sysrw
rm system/app/Maps.apk ( make sure it's Maps.apk not maps.apk)
cd system/bin
sh pm uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps
sysro
reboot
worked perfect

Last edited:

jim1974

Reaction score
Worked for me on the first try!! My Maps icon isn't themed anymore, but I can deal with that. Not having the latest version was driving me nuts. Thank you to everyone for the directions.

Last edited:

jcolt

Reaction score
Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users

On 06.22.10, In Root (unlock), Tips, by Kellex

See that screenie? That’s my JRummy Kangeraded Froyo Droid running the new Google Maps 4.3 which was released earlier today. Reader scrizzo just sent over a set of instructions I had yet to try that worked like butter. Seriously, I had tried the adb shell instructions out there, the .xml file update method, and couple of others with zero success. And then I received this magic…
Instructions…
*Note 1* – If you don’t have Terminal Emulator, download it from the market.
1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in the follow commands:
su
mountsys
rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
unmountsys
reboot
2. After your phone reboots, open the market and download Google Maps.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again.
4. Done!
If this set of instructions still doesn’t work for you, please drop the name and version of the ROM you have in the comments. Maybe we can pinpoint which methods are working for different ROMs.
Questions?
Cheers again scrizzo!

Worked like a charm - thanks been looking for an easy fix!!!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should be llike this:

For all other ROMs:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
busybox rm system/app/Maps.apk
cd system/bin
cd ..
cd ..
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system
sync
2. You can now attempt to install the Google Maps update.
3. If it fails the first time, just cancel the download and try again. If it fails again, reboot and try.
4. Done!

A week ago, I got this to work. I re-flashed an old ROM and I lost the new Maps update. I just tried doing this again, and after the cd .. cd .. when I do this line: mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 dev/block/mtdblock4 system I get a message saying mount: Device or resource busy - I got that error twice. Anyone have an idea what to do next? There is a space between the CD .. right? No other problems inputting the above lines until after the cd .. cd ..

Thanks.

Nevermind - I went to the market even after this error and it installed successfully.....don't ask me how, but it did.

Last edited:

jimbo42o

Reaction score

xrstoy1

Reaction score
Im using onix 1. 2. 5 and i get to mountsys and after pressing enter it says mountsys not found. Going to look into the ROM more. Will post back

Instead of using mountsys and unmountsys, use these:

mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

For Bugless users with Pete's scripts, you can use sysrw to mount and sysro to unmount.
The fix worked like a charm here as well, BB Froyo 0.2.1 with NexTheme.
Runnung BB .4 and this worked perfectly...Thanks Pete

cameroncrazy6683

Reaction score
I am also running Onix 1.2.5 and have successfully removed the old version, but get the same install error when I try to get new version.