Google Map reversed?

teejayh

Reaction score
When I use the Google Map app in my car, it seems that everythingon the map is reversed (landmarks on the left side of the map are really on my right when driving) and the map feeds from the top and goes foward to the bottom of the screen. If I turn the Droid upside down to put the landmarks on the correct side of the map then the text is upside down.
Is there a way to change google maps to show the landmarks on my correct side of the road with the proper orientation of the text too?

My old GPS (an old Garmin I think) showed everything on the correct side of the road and also feed from bottom to top.

Any ideas?

AzJazz

Reaction score
You need to move the stick on your steering wheel from the letter "R" to the letter "D". :)

Actually, have you tried calibrating your compass on your Droid? Try this compass App!

JimmyD

Reaction score
My guess is that you're simply using the Google Maps app and not the Google Navigation app.

When using 'Maps'; the screen will always have North at the top of your screen, east to the right, etc...

When using 'Navigation'; the orientation of the map will match the orientation of your visual perspective.

JoeKacz

Reaction score
My guess is that you're simply using the Google Maps app and not the Google Navigation app.

When using 'Maps'; the screen will always have North at the top of your screen, east to the right, etc...

When using 'Navigation'; the orientation of the map will match the orientation of your visual perspective.

What he said. I'd also go so far as to tell you that you're driving south.

OP
teejayh

teejayh

Reaction score
Google Maps

You are right. I am using the Map app. I will try the Navigator this afternoon. Thanks Jimmy!
and Joe, I do head south in the A.M. and north in the P.M....

JoeKacz

Reaction score
You are right. I am using the Map app. I will try the Navigator this afternoon. Thanks!
and I do head south in the A.M. and north in the P.M....

You should know that you can't use the Navigation app unless you put in a destination (unlike 'Maps', which you can just load up and watch yourself go.) I wish there was a way to get the first person view of navigation without having a destination, but so far there doesn't seem to be any way.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
You should know that you can't use the Navigation app unless you put in a destination (unlike 'Maps', which you can just load up and watch yourself go.) I wish there was a way to get the first person view of navigation without having a destination, but so far there doesn't seem to be any way.

There is a work around I use for this. Enter a destination a few feet down the road from where you are at. As you drive past it, it tells you you are there. But do not do anything unless it gives you a street view pic, clear that. But do not push the exit nav button. The map will follow and rotate. Those buttons take up some screen real estate but at least Nav follows along

JimmyD

Reaction score
There is a work around I use for this. Enter a destination a few feet down the road from where you are at. As you drive past it, it tells you you are there. But do not do anything unless it gives you a street view pic, clear that. But do not push the exit nav button. The map will follow and rotate. Those buttons take up some screen real estate but at least Nav follows along

Interesting work around!

I currently put in a random destination (like to my office) even if I'm not going there.... this way Navigation will provide me with the driver's perspective; but it also will keep bugging me and tell me that it's rerouting (to get me to my [unintended] destination).

FunN4Lo.... In your example, doesn't Navigation constantly "reroute" you as well, or does it stop doing that after you have "reached your destination" (and passed by it)?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
You are right. I am using the Map app. I will try the Navigator this afternoon. Thanks!
and I do head south in the A.M. and north in the P.M....

This is not true anymore with the latest update. You can now press the "M" button in the upper right and you will get a "follow me" 3D nav view. Really cool update.

JimmyD

Reaction score
This is not true anymore with the latest update. You can now press the "M" button in the upper right and you will get a "follow me" 3D nav view. Really cool update.

:icon_eek: Really!?
:icon_ banana: SWEET!

I wasn't going to leave the office for lunch, but now, with this news, I'm going to have to go for a drive to check this feature out! It's been so needed for so long!!!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I just d/led 4.4.0 (#4414) I do not have an "M" Where is it?

Fonzz

Reaction score

Run the Navigation app. The "M" is located in the upper right.

More specifically: Open just the "navigation" app from your app drawer / area. Do it this way and then you will see what appears to be an "M" for map I believe.

Do not start the Nav app from "CarHome" or the link to it when it's already in your dock. This is what I tried at first, the way MOST users usually do it...but that way won't give ya what you want. GRRRRRR

Always try and think about how the text in your message can be interpreted wrongly and then post accordingly.

BTW, Great info dylanthecat!

vthokies1996

Reaction score

Run the Navigation app. The "M" is located in the upper right.

More specifically: Open just the "navigation" app from your app drawer / area. Do it this way and then you will see what appears to be an "M" for map I believe.

Do not start the Nav app from "CarHome" or the link to it when it's already in your dock. This is what I tried at first, the way MOST users usually do it...but that way won't give ya what you want. GRRRRRR

Always try and think about how the text in your message can be interpreted wrongly and then post accordingly.

BTW, Great info dylanthecat!

I don't have my Droid with me, but if you try this work around, you say not to launch the Navigation from Car Home or while its in the dock. After you load Navigation and hit "M" can you then place it in the Car Dock?

OP
teejayh

teejayh

Reaction score
Nice catch Dylan. I tried it from the App drawer and it works very nicely! Way to go! This is a big help.