Google Gesture Search...love it!

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Was home sick the other day and was poking around looking for apps to waste my time with. Came across Google Gesture Search. Allows you to draw letters on the screen with your finger to search. I love it! I have 2,000+ contacts so it's not very fast to scroll through names and I have big fingers so it's not easy to type with the Droid upright. So I always have to rotate my Droid and hope it switches orientation (doesn't do it all of the time). Basically, it's a PITA.

With Gesture Search I just write the letter of the first (or last) name and I get a narrowed-down list of contacts. Very cool!

rjcapp

Reaction score
good find I like it

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I had Gesture Search for a while, and find I just don't use it. It seems quicker to touch the contacts icon, slide the list upwards and use the lettered box to slide down the alphabet to the person I'm looking for. Gesture search seems to come up with too many results, and sometimes not the name I'm looking for. It's a clever app, but one I can live without.
For example: suppose I want to look up the number for John. So I form the J with Gesture Search. (I have many John's in my contact list) The search comes up with Johns and James and Jennys and Johnson and Jackson and so on. But if I scroll down the contact list with the alphabet box, I can get right to the Johns and just the Johns.

Last edited:
OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I had Gesture Search for a while, and find I just don't use it. It seems quicker to touch the contacts icon, slide the list upwards and use the lettered box to slide down the alphabet to the person I'm looking for. Gesture search seems to come up with too many results, and sometimes not the name I'm looking for. It's a clever app, but one I can live without.
For example: suppose I want to look up the number for John. So I form the J with Gesture Search. (I have many John's in my contact list) The search comes up with Johns and James and Jennys and Johnson and Jackson and so on. But if I scroll down the contact list with the alphabet box, I can get right to the Johns and just the Johns.

Normally, I'd agree with you, however, I have close to 3,000 contacts so it's not practical to do it that way. Gesture Search always gets me to the right area and saves me time.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Perhaps if they had a setting to instruct the program to ONLY search for the first letter of the first name, for example, it would help narrow down the list of results.